Saturday, June 20, 2009

Update & Request for Prayer: June 20, 2009

Good morning. The sun is shining brilliantly through my hospital room window after a stormy night. Isn't life always the brightest after we have trampled through life's storms with God's assistance and guidance?

The Rituxan infusion finished at 6 AM this morning (it took 17 hours to infuse). That was my 10 percent dose of half-dose Rituxan. At 1 PM today, I will take the remaining 90 percent of half-dose Rituxan.

I am rejoiced to report the results from this relatively small dose. My total white blood count yesterday was 135,000 (normal WBC being 5,000-10,000) and this morning it was 51,200. More importantly the cancerous lymphocytes fell from 95 percent to 71 percent of the total white count. The absolute number of (cancerous) lymphocytes declined from 128,535 to 36,352.

Obviously, my body is going to need assistance to flush out a cell kill like this (since I cannot take allopurinol), so please pray that I will not develop Tumor Lysis Syndrome (where the toxic debris from the cell kill can shut down kidneys, cause heart damage, etc.)

My hemoglobin did decrease from 9.7 to 8.3 and my platelets decreased from 157,000 to 97,000. Thus, I ask for prayer for these counts to recover and not to decline any further.

I feel decent today, given all of the medicines and the rampage that Rituxan has initiated against the leukemia cells in my body. I have a bit of nausea and diarrhea, but overall, this morning I feel pretty well.

I do not have a fever and I was able to move to my left side for a few minutes, so I believe there has been a small reduction in the size of my spleen. A few of the lymph nodes in my neck are a bit smaller, as well.

I appreciate your prayers of thanksgiving on my behalf - thanking Him for the work He is going to perform in my body, all for His glory and praise.

John 11:4
"When he heard this, Jesus said, 'This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it'."

3 comments:

Celeste Maia said...

I am so happy to read your news, Stacie, and the good results of the first infusion of Rituxan, that is so encouraging. I will be praying for your Hg to raise and also your platelet count. And for continued goood results and solutions to the few problems. Keep that amazing strength! Thinking of you, Celeste

Shari said...

I will be looking for more updates daily! Just want you to know that I'm praying for you, Stacie! Thanks for letting us know how you're doing. You are being carried in many hearts, you know! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Dear Stacie,
I was so relieved to get your latest progress report on the Rituxan. I'm so glad that you tolerated the infusion and that you've had such a great immediate response. I hope the 90% goes as well, continuing to lower your ALC, spleen, and nodes, while preserving your hg and platelets.

Kathy