Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Houston, We Have Lift-Off!

I left home at 10:45 AM and just returned home - I had three doctors' appointments, including one in Indianapolis. I drove myself and really regretted it by the end of the 200+ mile trip. All three doctors are in agreement - I will be admitted Thursday evening to begin half-dose Rituxan.
This mission will not be scrubbed!

The oncologist and infectious disease doctors (who both had listened to my chest at the peak of the pulmonary infection) commented on how well my lungs sounded today. I tested negative for CMV, Asp., and other nasty infections. That's a praise.

The wheels of organization are turning - hospital orders and plans are being made. I should be admitted around 6 PM on Thursday. I will begin receiving IV hydration to prevent Tumor Lysis Syndrome - a very serious complication when a huge cell kill occurs with treatment - please pray specifically for my body to be able to rid itself of the toxic debris that is generated from the B-lymphocytes being bombarded and killed by the Rituxan. Later Thursday evening, I will begin receiving premedications for the treatment and to desensitize me to another antibiotic. I will also receive a Neupogen injection to help prevent infection. On Friday morning, the first drops of Rituxan will flow into my bloodstream - the smart bomb that will seek and destroy the CD20 markers on the cancerous B-lymphocytes. These lymphocytes are sequestered in my massive spleen, enlarged lymph nodes throughout my body and in my bloodstream.

As I have asked you in the past, let us pray and then THANK God for these answers we are believing that He will deliver:

--Destroy leukemia cells while rebuilding my immune system (for those of you who know much about cancer treatment, you know this is a real oxymoron for which to ask)
-Help my body to fight off harmful organisms and dangerous infections
-Protect me from tumor lysis syndrome
-Return my spleen and liver to normal size
-Return enlarged lymph nodes
-Return all blood counts to normal
-Let doctors and other caregivers stand in amazement at God’s work through this treatment
-Prevent any drug reaction or serious side-effects

My infectious disease doctor told me that I have the patience and strength of Job and I told him that I hope, like Job, that my latter days are blessed more than the beginning and that I will die old and full of days! (Job 42:12, 17)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacie,

As an old NASA hand, I wish you a successful mission. May the duration of the mission be as planned and smooth and may the landing be soft and fully successful. You have my prayers.

Nat, recovering again from another pneumonia event.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed as I read your updates Stacie. You bless us. Truly, may God's Spirit shine through you thought you walk through the valley.

Love and blessings Pastor Aaron

Anonymous said...

HI, STACIE!

JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT I AM PRAYING FOR YOU AS YOU ENTER THE HOSPITAL AND BEGIN YOUR TREATMENT. (I WILL CONTINUE TO CHECK YOUR BLOG AND MY E-MAILS DAILY FOR ANY UPDATES ON YOU.)

PRAYING FOR GOD TO HEAL YOU AND BLESS YOU.


LOVE,
LEANN

Anonymous said...

Stacie -

I will be praying for you and am believing along with you that there is a list of praises that are in the works! I cannot imagine what a witness you have been and continue to be to so many medical professionals! Praise God for using us in all circumstances.

I am in the airport, heading to Denver today for camp. I am very grateful to God that my excitement is growing about the month assignment and am looking forward to seeing what God will do.

Love ya Stacie!
Jessie

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I am in agreement with you! Praise God you are on your way to better health!
Love, Tina