Monday, June 22, 2009

Five Smooth Stones

The roar and hum of hospital equipment robs me of sleep tonight. Lights are blinking. IV pumps hum. Doors open and close frequently. And the enemy of my soul would like for me to dwell upon leukemia and infections and drug reactions. I am alone, void of family and friends, and my enemies loom large. Yet, I am confident and bold enough in my faith, to believe that the impossibilities of this life situation are minuscule for my God.

I ponder the dilemma that the young shepherd boy David faced as he approached the Philistine giant Goliath. My life situation is no different. As I toss and turn in this web of monitor cords, IV lines, and other equipment, this thought has returned to my conscience, over and over this evening: Five Smooth Stones. It only took five smooth stones in a shepherd’s bag to serve as the ammunition to kill a giant. Stacie, did you pack your five smooth stones for this journey?

Am I any different in God’s eyes? No. Did God’s supernatural power to rescue His children from intimidating giants conclude with Old Testament accounts of supernatural victories? No. Will I choose to believe, with unshakable faith such as David’s and dare to ask the Lord to intervene and rescue me from these threats against my very life? Yes.

Stone One – The Word of God

My Bible is at my bedside. It is my life-breathing Book. Many nights I have spent in this Intensive Care Unit, gripping my Bible to my chest and asking Him to answer my prayers. His Word has breathed Life into my soul so many times, I cannot count. Just as Jesus used the Word of God against Satan when Satan was tempting and taunting Him, I surely packed this “stone” in my bag.

“For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12).

“My son, give attention to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; keep them in the midst of your heart; for they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh” (Proverbs 4:20-22).


Stone-Two – Praise and Worship Music

My laptop plays music from my favorite contemporary Christian music station and my CD collection in my hospital room. It comforts my soul and it is amazing at the comments and compliments I receive on my music from hospital staff that enter my room. I am reminded of Paul and Silas in their prison cell, praising God to the point that prison doors swung open and their chains were loosed. Praising God brings that same power into our lives. The chains that bind us are broken and loosed in the presence of praise. Focus shifts from toxic anti-cancer drugs flowing into my veins to the creator of these veins Who is able to protect me from harm and use the drugs for my healing.

“But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were loosed” (Acts 16:25-26).

“In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?” (Psalm 56:4).


Stone Three – Prayer

Where would I be without the prayers of so many faithful intercessors praying for me? There is power in prayer. I am confident and assured that He hears our prayers and answers them, when we pray according to His will and when our hearts are pure and right before Him. In the silence of every hospital room, He is but a whisper away. I am never alone in that hospital bed. He is there. Hallelujah, thank You, Lord.

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer” (Romans 12:12).

"Go and tell Hezekiah, 'This is what the LORD, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will add fifteen years to your life” (Isaiah 38:5).


Stone Four – Joy

Do you realize how simple it would be for me to wallow in self-pity, never leaving my bed and dwelling on pain and death? Far too many cancer patients lose their battles in their minds before their bodies expire. Living life fully, with joy and happiness is not an easy task as my body decays and deteriorates. Pain pulls at my emotions and taunts me to give up. Yet, the joy of the Lord is my strength. The Holy Spirit residing inside of me, is Who motivates me to live life as a person without a death sentence placed on her medical chart.

"So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy" (John 16:22).


"When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul" (Psalm 94:19).

Stone Five – Faith: Confidence in God to Accomplish the Impossible

Leukemia, you come at me with failing bone marrow, infections, and poor blood counts. But I come to you in the Name of the Lord. Just as the shepherd David boy taunted the giant Goliath with similar words, I must come before my God with this type of faith-filled confidence. I cannot do this in my own strength – my flesh trembles at how leukemia has ravaged my body. However, my spirit remains strong and courageous and bold.

“Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need” (Hebrews 4:16).

“Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God” (2 Corinthians 3:4-5).

1 comment:

Deb Light said...

Stacie,I love your five stones and am so glad you packed each important one of them!God Bless you as you continue to minister to others as you fight for your life!
Love Ya Girl,
Deb