Monday, June 1, 2009

2 Chronicles 20: 1-19: Preparations for Battle

I have depended upon the teaching in 2 Chronicles 20 to prepare myself for my own life battles. After all, God’s Word is “alive and full of power” (Hebrews 4:12), not mere printed words found on paper. He expects His children to read, to comprehend, and then to apply His Word to our life situations. Not unlike most other areas of learning, application of instruction is the pinnacle of knowledge and proof that one fully comprehends the subject being studied.

If we are reading our Bibles so that we can tout that we read It from cover to cover over the past calendar year, we might want to reevaluate the reasons behind the reading. If we are reading our Bibles to memorize verses (although a very a good practice) yet we do not apply what we absorb, then our faith-walks are hindered

I prefer The Message’s version of Ephesians 6:13:

“Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.”

Is it not amazing that although Jehoshaphat never would have seen the writings of Paul in Ephesians, he followed these precise instructions. Jehoshaphat knew he was up against more than his troops could defeat. He knew he must apply God’s Word to the situation. He was relying heavily on God’s Word, “the indispensable weapon” to bring victory to their situation. Jehoshaphat prayed and sought God. He fasted. He prepared for this great battle, applying the Word of God and the power of God to the threat.

Jehoshaphat proclaimed: “O our God, will you now judge them. For we have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you (2 Chronicles 20: 12).

Reflect on the centuries that have passed since Jehoshaphat’s utterance of those words. Now consider how contemporary those very words are today. I have absolutely no power against leukemia. It is a formidable foe – without cure – without hope, apart from God. Even the best experts in the world have not known what to do for me. Yet, at the conclusion of each consultation, I knew what to do – put my eyes on my Lord. Pray. Reflect. Fast. Ask. Believe. Trust. There is no such situation in God's economy as a hopeless situation.

As Jehoshaphat made this proclamation, we are told that the Spirit of the Lord came upon them. I walked the Christian walk for many years, unaware of the empowerment and peace that embracing the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life would mean. I am grateful that my eyes and heart were opened to fully embrace the power and presence of the Holy Spirit. When He is in our midst, God is in our midst. Jahaziel prophesied under the guidance of the Holy Spirit to Jehoshaphat and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: “Thus says the Lord to you: ‘Do not be afraid or dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle, is not yours, but God’s…. You will not need to fight in this battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, who is with you…” (2 Chronicles 20: 15, 17).

Pause. Take a deep breath. Sigh a sigh of incomparable relief. I do not have to be afraid or dismayed that I am, according to doctors, “end stage disease”. What a relief! I do not have to enter into this battle alone, for this battle belongs to God. I have positioned myself and am standing, firmly planted on God’s Word.

“Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.” (Ephesians 6:13 - NKJV).

Once again, we read Paul’s writings reflecting the actions and guidance of God many, many years before the words were implemented by Jehoshaphat. I am standing and believing God’s Word. Anyone will tell you in the natural realm, that there is little hope that the treatment I will be receiving will produce even a partial remission. I have prayed for God's anointing upon this treatment and I have added different supplements, a nutritional plan and additional prescription medications to take with the treatment. Most importantly, I am thanking God, even today, for the ways in which He will use these weapons to bring me the not-anticipated victory.

“….all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem bowed before the Lord, worshipping the Lord” (2 Chronicles 20: 18b).

It is so easy to find time to pray and ask God for our needs. Scheduling time to worship Him is difficult for some. Most everyday, I make time in my day to worship the God of the Universe. He loves my ear-splitting songs of praise (and He is the only One who finds pleasure in my praises)! And according to these words from 2 Chronicles 20, we see Jehoshaphat and Company worshipping and praising God before they stepped into the heat of the battle. Our battle plans should be no different.

No comments: