Sunday, June 14, 2009

Scrubbing the Mission

A hydrogen leak recently scrubbed the mission of space shuttle Discovery. After months of preparation and weeks of postponements, the anticipated two week mission was delayed. Valves had been replaced. Weeks of inspections and repairs were completed. Astronauts prepared and readied themselves for lift-off.

And then, with little notice, the mission was scrubbed.

I feel a bit like the astronauts preparing for this Discovery mission to the international space station. I have prepared and prayed for this week's upcoming treatment to begin. Much anticipation has been felt by myself, family and friends. Every "i" has been dotted and every "t" has been crossed. Insurance battles have been resolved. Plans and procedures are in place. My hospital bags are packed.

And now, this pesky lung infection - the leaking nitrogen valve of this leukemia treatment mission -- is threatening to delay my treatment. I will know for certain by Tuesday if all systems will be "go" for Thursday's admission to ICU.

I can relate to the astronaut's wearisome emotional roller coaster as they waited to see if they would blast off on their mission. I am frazzled and frayed - not knowing if I will be proceeding with treatment this week or if the infection will postpone current plans.

Nevertheless, just as if I was one of those astronauts, I would be reminding myself that God must have scrubbed the mission for a purpose larger my mind could comprehend. And that is what I will do this week. I will be patient before Him. I will trust that His timing is better than my timing. I will believe that He is coordinating plans that none of us can even comprehend. And if the mission is to move forth, it will do so with His blessing. And if it is to be delayed, the Holy Spirit will step onto the scene and scrub the mission.

2 comments:

Deb Light said...

Praying you get good news tomorrow Stacie and your treatment will be a go if it is the Lord's will.Hang in there!

Love Ya,
Deb

Anonymous said...

That is a very good analogy. I hope your mission will be a GO asap.

I just forwarded this message this morning to your prayer list. I think they would want to know.

Love ya!
Tina