Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Medicine Go Down

The catchy tune "A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Medicine Go Down", from Mary Poppins, runs through my mind some days. And I think about the spoonful of "sugar" that helps all of my medicines go down. That sugar is also known as our grandson, Lil Man. My days are filled with IV's, needles, medicines that make me feel worse than the problems they are treating, leukemia infiltrating my bone marrow, and infections threatening to invade my body.

Yet in the midst of the difficult days I am trudging through, a bright, gummy grin embraces my heart. Lil Man is sugary sweet and no matter the health challenge I am facing or the medicine I am taking, my little "sugar" helps it all go down much easier. I know that if I give up and give in right now (and that is such a temptation when living in a broken body), that he will not remember me. Another dose of "sugar" is the perfect remedy for each and every prescription medication thrown at an infection or the leukemia.

Thus, I take my daily dose of Lil Man along with medications molded by researchers' hands -- all in an effort to overcome and rise above menacing health challenges. Lil Man, my daughters, my family spur me on when the days are dark and the suffering is swallowing up my life.

Thanks to all of my spoonfuls of sugar .........

No comments: