Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Prayer Request & Update: March 17, 2009

Much has transpired since my last update. The oncologists' office elected, midway through this cycle of treatment, to not perform my infusions at their infusion center. This has created much stress, confusion, and expense (we will pay out almost $1400 for this decision). Home healthcare has been an absolute disaster. The nurse arrived last night (after we had gone to the hospital and purchased the IV medication). She did not even have a needle to start the IV, a pump, anything. Supposedly, another supplier (who never delivered) is to provide all equipment. Fortunately, our oldest daughter who is working toward her Nurse Practitioner degree and who has a Bachelors Degree in Nursing was here. I had a bag of lab drawing supplies, so we used the butterfly needles from that to improvise. I blew out 4 veins and we relented and used the vein in the bend of my elbow (impossible to keep for three days, as was the home healthcare plan).

I don't know what we would have done without our "Nurse Daughter". She had an older professor in nursing school who had taught her to calculate drip rates and to do IV's without an IV pump. With her calculations and only regulating the number of drips, she completed my IV within 10 minutes of the IV's running on a pump. She said, at the time the professor made her learn that, all of her class was upset and said, "We don't need to learn this in the world with IV Pumps!" She is going to e-mail and thank that professor today for teaching her this skill!

I finished with the IV about 10:30 last night. Our daughter splinted my arm and wrapped it in an attempt to preserve the IV In the arm for today. Unfortunately, I awoke in pain this morning and knew the IV was in jeopardy. Since it was in my right arm, I only had my left arm (and I am dominantly right handed) to try to flush the IV, see if I could get a blood return, etc. I had no blood return, so I knew it was bad. So with my one left hand, I unwrapped the IV and took it out of myself this morning. (Not receiving IV's at the infusion center is a definite BAD IDEA, but I have no other option at this time except to be admitted to the hospital -- which is even a WORSE idea.)

My kidney and liver functions are normal! So that is my praise for today since both of these powerful medications have the potential to harm kidneys and the liver. Please keep praying for God's protection over these organs and my heart. My hemoglobin and platelets remained in my "normal, albeit low" ranges. This is also a praise that the medications have not caused dangerous drops in these counts. The only count a bit concerning is my neutrophil count and it had dropped by 30 percent since Friday. We will watch this closely to see if I need another Neupogen injection.

We are still awaiting the final identification and sensitivities for this second fungal infection. After all we have gone through to obtain the $6000 liquid medicine Pozaconazole and these IV's, could be in vain if the ID and sensitivities show other medicines would be more effective.

I continue on the Tobramycin sinus irrigations six times a day along with the antibiotic Augmentin, since I also have a bacterial infection.

The nausea and diarrhea have improved the last day or so. I know if I could get re-hydrated, my veins would cooperate better for the IV's. I broke my thermometer, so haven't been able to check my temperature. I need to get a new thermometer as I closely watch temperature as an indicator if the medications are working.

My friend Terri was with me all day yesterday. She comes to help me a couple days a month. I told her she had to go beyond the call of duty yesterday -- she was the administer of the sinus medication (nurse); she prepared dinner for us (personal chef); she helped me with the baby (nanny); she walked the dog (pet sitter); and cleaned my house! Now that is some multi-tasking.

Please pray:
-For quick, accurate culture ID's and sensitivities to become available quickly;
-For God to strengthen me as I am weak and weary;for Him to give strength to my family as I know they are weary of this long battle with me;
-For these medications to be orchestrating a major eviction of all dangerous organisms from my body;
-For discernment for me as I determine new options to receive IV's and treatments;
-For my vein access to improve so I won't have to have 3-5 IV sticks a day;
-For me not to have a drug reaction while at home without medical personnel;
-For me to be completely healed of infection and leukemia.

I appreciate your prayers and e-mail encouragements.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacie,

Praying that God's grace will be upon you today and that you can get treated easily and efficently.
Glad your liver and kidneys are doing well through it all.
Praise God for your friend who helped you so much yesterday.
Take Care and know we at CLL Christian Friends are having special prayer for you this morning.
Your plate may be full but your cup runneth over!!

Love & Prayers,
Deb