Monday, March 23, 2009

IV IQ Contest

Last night I had six veins collapse and/or infiltrate. It was terribly difficult on our oldest daughter (the nurse) who had to keep re-sticking me. I went to bed at 2 AM, having only received about 1/3 of the IV medication.

Since the IV challenge is escalating daily, I have decided to open an IV IQ Contest on my blog. To enter, simply post (by going to comments on my blog) your idea for making the IV work or other (atypical) means of taking this IV medication. Perhaps, you know a secret tip for making IV's successful in someone who has veins that run away when a needle approaches. One friend mentioned soaking in it, much like a bubble bath to absorb it. Last night, I actually told my husband I was ready for him to cut open the IV bag and I would just drink it. No one supported that plan of a desperate, vein-less patient.

The winner of today's contest will receive this prize: one day in the IV chair to take one of my treatments! Let's see your creativity, folks. The prize is taxable and must be reported on your income taxes, if you are the winner.

Disclaimer: These recommendations might be hazardous to my health.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you well hydrated? Most nurses have a miserable time finding a vein on me - especially if I am dehydrated. I make sure to drink as much water as possible before I get stuck with a needle.

Reminds me of a funny situation I was in. I had to have very minor surgery about a year ago unrealated to CLL. I had to be put under so I couldn't eat or drink after midnight - you know the routine. The poor nurse could not fine a vein. She stuck me once and missed. I told her to try the top of my hand. She refused. I told her to go ahead and take a stab at it. She again refused. I explained that I'm used to needles it is not a problem. She ended up having the doctor come in and do it.

Anonymous said...

I understand about the runaway veins. I went through chemo and the added drug herceptin...at the end of my IV treatments... my arms and veins were shot. I prefer to opt out of the contest. Can the nurse find a vein on the top of your hand? between fingers? Another idea is different size needles that were used. I truly understand your frustration and the need to recieve the IV fluids in a timely prescribed manner.

Anonymous said...

Stacie at MD Anderson they heat towels and wrap around your arm.They say the heat helps the viens appear larger and also they have you drinking for minutes minutes before they try.
I don't want to win the prize either!!LOL!
Take Care,
Thoughts & Prayers,
Deb