Friday, August 29, 2008

Request for Prayer: August 28, 2008

Please remember me in your prayers. It has been a difficult evening. I saw my family physician this afternoon. All week, my breathing has become more labored. I have lost more blood and my hemoglobin remains low.

My doctor had me wear a pulse ox monitor to determine the level of oxygen saturation. She placed it on me then had me walk some in the office. The level dropped to 63. That is not acceptable. Usually, people are put on oxygen when levels dip in the 80's. So she called and arranged for oxygen to be delivered to our home tonight.

I must admit I was not prepared for that delivery. Tanks and tubing were hauled in; multiple directions and instructions were given; and suddenly I was attached to 40' of tubing (I am calling it an oxygen leash. You can interpret, however you want, my opinion on being on oxygen 24/7).

There is nothing physically painful about receiving oxygen, but it literally broke my heart to realize that suddenly I was not capable of even breathing on my own. I am determined and strong-willed enough to figure a way to eradicate this constant companion.

There is no place in my plans to carry an oxygen tank and a new baby around. And besides that, it makes our Grand-Dog nervous and apprehensive to be sharing her home with an oxygen monster. Look on the bright side, at least we don't smoke and won't risk blowing up ourselves and our home with oxygen and open flames.

Afterthoughts: Do I dare cook on a gas stove and wear oxygen at the same time? Could preparation of dinner result in a fireball? Does this mean I am released from kitchen duties? Perhaps, the lack of oxygen has already destroyed brain cells.

No comments: