Monday, August 4, 2008

Nothing Separates Us From the Love of Christ

Has God ever called you to be His hands and feet in an area that is filled with visual dangers? An inner-city neighborhood replete with crime, prostitution, drug and alcohol abuse, and poverty could be your next assignment. Fear could try to overwhelm you in such a location, yet the very people living in such neighborhoods are as near and dear to God’s heart as the wealthy residents of a suburban country club. Created by His hands. Molded in His image. They are no different.

What is different is our world vision of those around us. Poverty does not rob someone of the status of salvation through Christ. It cannot separate the impoverished from the love of Christ. Satan has proudly attempted to blind residents of the inner-city neighborhoods with the apparent hopelessness of their situations. As sleek, new automobiles pass their homes, they must muse that securing a bicycle for transportation seems out of reach for them and their circumstances. As their children’s stomachs growl with the pangs of hunger, anger must arise within them as they see multitudes pouring into restaurants to select whatever they want to eat. A slice of bread or a cup of milk would be a feast within the walls of their homes. The sounds of gunfire and gangster threats fill their ears. Hopeless. Helpless. Homeless.

Will you go? Or will you drive with your eyes and head turned away from the inner city neighborhood and sites as you drive to work? Will you “risk” driving your fine new automobile through the city slums of destitution? Will you “risk” stopping to share your lunch or five dollars with the homeless man on the street? Will you “risk” being rejected as you share the hope and promise of the Gospel with the lost addict or prostitute?

Rejection is a common ploy engaged by the enemy. No one craves rejection. We don’t openly go out each day, hoping that someone will put us down and reject us. It hurts. As Christians, we must grow up and go out. Time is short. The lost derelict or gangster could be gunned down tonight. Dead. Lost. Eternity forever outside of their grasp. Does that make your heart or mind uncomfortable? If it doesn’t, ask God to forgive you and to implant in your life a compassion for those in need of salvation.

I can relate these stories to you from a genuine heart that has experienced it first hand. Years back, I confess to you that there were neighborhoods that I avoided. I allowed fear to divert my travels around inner-city neighborhoods where the glances of drug dealers and prostitutes left me feeling uncomfortable. It was easier to take the “safe” route home, say a prayer for those less fortunate and return to the safety of my own home. And often times, God will call us to go to those very places of uneasiness.

In 2002, I became aware of an inner-city ministry that worked mainly with children and youth. I can recall my first timid trek to the facility. Doors locked. Say a prayer for protection. Looking over my shoulder, I raced to the door. Locked. More glances over my shoulder and around at the heartache of the neighborhood. Although my heart wanted to help these children, I was allowing fear to distort my vision and pull at my consciousness.

What began as a volunteer effort soon evolved into a job. Everyday I would journey into this inner-city neighborhood. I fell in love with the children and families we served. The more I sought God’s guidance and protection, the more boldness and courage that He gave to me. I was able to lead Chapel services for the students. I wept. We provided spiritual and actual food. Meals, food pantry services, clothing, school supplies, and tutoring.

God supplied and we worked. We worked hard, long hours for little pay. Our pay was being banked in a Heavenly account. I knew each day that the Father was smiling on us. Hungry and dirty and very sad faces greeted me each day on the job. Hugs were frequent. The smell from many of the children would linger after the hug released. Their mothers were as broken and hurting as the children. Many victims of abuse and hopelessness. To be a tool utilized by God in such desperate situations was an honor above description.

Ask yourself today what you can do that is outside of your comfort zone for God's Kingdom? The Apostle Paul traveled and evangelized in the midst of threats and dangers that most of us cannot imagine. Yet, God was His constant Companion and Protector. He will do no less for you or me.

No comments: