Tuesday, August 26, 2008

God's Guide to Parenting

There are several things that I hope my grandchildren will be taught by their parents. These are foundations from the Bible that will give hope and a future to my grandchildren. My most heartfelt prayer is that my children, grandchildren, and all future generations who follow me will join me in Heaven one day.

1. Dedicate my grandchildren back to the Lord. Remember that our children are a gift from God that He loans to us for a short time. I am reminded of Hannah and how she dedicated her much prayed for son, Samuel, back to the Lord and His service:

I Samuel 1:26-28: "And she said, “O my lord! As your soul lives, my lord, I am the woman who stood by you here, praying to the LORD. For this child I prayed, and the LORD has granted me my petition which I asked of Him. Therefore I also have lent him to the LORD; as long as he lives he shall be lent to the LORD.” So they worshiped the LORD there."

2. Teach my grandchildren about the Lord and to love the Lord with all of their heart, soul, and mind.

Deuteronomy 11:18-21:“Therefore you shall lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, that your days and the days of your children may be multiplied in the land of which the LORD swore to your fathers to give them, like the days of the heavens above the earth.

3. Teach my grandchildren the importance of honoring their mother and father.

Exodus 20:12: "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you."


4. Stress the importance of a personal relationship with Christ and salvation to my grandchildren from an early age.

Acts 16:31: "So they said, 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household'.”

5. Let my grandchildren know how God created them and knew them from the moment of their conception.

Psalm 139:13-16: "For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them."

6. Teach my grandchildren the importance of speaking faith-filled, positive words all the days of their lives.

Proverbs 18:21: "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit."

Deuteronomy 30:19: "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live..."


7. Teach my grandchildren their value to God.

Luke 12:7: "But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."


8. Do everything in your power to eliminate strife from the home where my grandchildren will be raised.

2 Timothy 2:23: "But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife."


9. Teach my grandchildren the importance of choosing friends wisely.

Proverbs 12:26: "The righteous should choose his friends carefully, for the way of the wicked leads them astray."

10. Model faith to my grandchildren.

Hebrews 11:1: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

No comments: