Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Phoenix Rises Again

I am home from ICU! It is always a beautiful moment to walk out of the hospital and to see the beauty of the ski, the grass, and to feel fresh air hit my face. Most of us on most days, take the very presence of air in our lungs for granted. If nothing else, this battle with leukemia has reminded me that each and every day is a genuine gift from God. Celebrate life! Take time from the hecticness of your daily lives and enjoy the simple beauties that surround you.

Some people have referred to me as the Phoenix. As many of you might know, in Greek mythology, the phoenix was a firebird. According to mythology, the Phoenix lives for 1,000 years and at the end of its lifespan, the phoenix builds a nest and it then ignites and a new phoenix arises.

I suspect, given the number of times that I have been critically ill and knocking on Heaven's door, this comparison evolved and thus, the reference to me as the Phoenix. I'm not a fan of mythology but I do believe the word of God. Some accounts that I have read of the phoenix explains that the phoenix became quite popular in early Christian art and literature. The Phoenix in early Christian symbolism represented the life, death, resurrection, and eternal life of Jesus Christ.

I know beyond certainty that the Lord has pulled from the edge of death so many times. I am humbled by the grace and mercy He has extended to me.

No comments: