Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Memorial Stones - Stone 1

"'Cross over before the ark of the Lord your God into the midst of the Jordan, and each one of you take up a stone...and this may be a sign among you when your children ask in time to come saying, 'What do these stones mean to you?' Then you shall answer them....that these stones shall be for a memorial to the children of Israel forever.'" Joshua 4: 5-7

In the book of Joshua, the people are instructed to erect a memorial made of 12 stones, as a monument to remind their children and future generations what God had brought the Israelites through during their lifetime.

Likewise, I want to "construct" with my humble words, a memorial for my daughters, grandchildren, and future generations. I want them to recognize, recall, and remember all that God did in the life of their Mother and Grandmother, and even Great-Grandmother. My prayer is that this memorial will serve as a reminder of God's faithfulness and unending love for me, for them, and for all future generations of my family.

MEMORIAL STONE 1: ETERNAL LIFE

No matter the daily circumstances, pain, bad reports, or disappointments that we have had to endure as a family, one thing has remained constant and secure. Since we have accepted Jesus as our Personal Savior, asked for forgiveness of our sins, and allowed Him to be Lord of our lives, we have been guaranteed eternal life.

Regardless of the amount of time that we are given here on earth, we are promised to live eternally in Heaven. In Heaven, there will be no more suffering, no more sickness, no more sadness, and no more disappointment. I know that the "worst" thing in the eyes of others that can happen to me, is for me to die. Yet, death will not be the final chapter for me. I cling to the promise of life eternal. It is by such promises of God that I am able to stand firm, unshaken, as all else fails and falls around me.

I cannot remain this strong and unshaken by my own strength. My body may not be able to fight infections, to take a drug without reactions, and the pain may sometimes consume me, however I will not allow my focus to rest on these circumstances. My focus remains on this Memorial Stone of Eternal Life.

As I have told our daughters so many times, when the time comes for me to leave this earth, I want them to remember that we will be separated only for a short while when compared to the time we will share together in eternity. I tell them that my death should be viewed as me departing on the best vacation of my life and on one glorious day, we will be reunited in Heaven. Now that will be a family reunion!

Trials and tribulations will come into each of our lives. That we are guaranteed. We must resolve to stand firm and not allow such trials to rob us of our peace, joy, and happiness. We must learn as the Apostle Paul did "to be content whether in plenty or in want". Our faith and focus must be on eternal hopes. For when we place all of our hope on relationships, material items, personal successes, or our own health, we will be disappointed. All of these things are fleeting and can be gone or destroyed in the blink of an eye.

For the future generations to follow me, place your focus on the eternal hopes and promises of God. They will never fail you.

No comments: