Friday, August 1, 2008

Life is a Terminal Illness

Life is a terminal illness. Not long after I was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 33, I went to lunch with a group of my dearest friends. The atmosphere was punctuated with the unspoken tension that surrounds the “C” word – cancer. Not their usual perky selves, I reflected on what to say to my friends to break the tension.

I spoke. “I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all of you have a terminal illness just like me. It’s called life.” Silence. Nervous laughter erupted from a couple of my friends. Others looked bewildered. Terminal? Yes, if you are living and breathing today you have a terminal illness. Your life will end. It will end for the cancer patient and for the youngest, healthiest athlete. It is inevitable.

Unfortunately, for most, it takes the assessment of a physician and being informed that they are “terminal” for the final chapter of life to become apparent. The life time-clock began ticking when you drew in your first breath. The sand is swiftly flowing through the hourglass of time. Fortunately, for those of us who are told how long doctors “think” we will live, we begin truly living.

Stop. If you have not been diagnosed with a terminal disease, ask yourself how differently you would live tomorrow if you were told that death was fast approaching. Would working extra hours among virtual strangers instead of your family be a priority? Would living a life focused on monetary gain be as important to you? Would you stop and consider that there could be a life after this one ends?

Questions life these shoot rapid-fire through one’s mind after being told they have a terminal disease. Yet, they are the very questions every living person needs to ask himself each day.

Personally, the realization that my life might be cut short, caused me to focus on spending everyday doing tasks of eternal value. I asked God to reveal to me (through His Word or other people) any areas of my life that needed repentance or repair. I didn’t want to die and face my Heavenly Father, unprepared for that meeting. I want to be a memory maker and legacy leaver for my family.

Life is a terminal illness. Live each day as it might be the last.

No comments: