Monday, August 4, 2008

In Honor and Memory of Lucy Mae

Our family had the joy of raising our Golden Retriever from the age of 5 weeks. She was a little ball of golden fluff when she joined our family. Our youngest daughter chose her from a litter of eight Golden puppies.

Lucy Mae joined our family and grew up with our daughters. She brought much joy and laughter to our family. She would lay beside me when I felt bad. Just her presence was comforting. As our daughters grew up and left our home, Lucy Mae was our only "child" remaining in our nearly empty nest.

She became more and more spoiled in her role as the "only child" at our home. As she aged, she began to have pain with her hips and had difficulty walking. She loved riding in the car or truck with us. Eventually, she couldn't climb into the truck, so my husband built her a ramp. She was the envy of all the senior dogs at the vet's office when she strolled down her ramp.

Unfortunately, Lucy Mae was diagnosed with lymphoma in January 2007. She only lived three weeks after being diagnosed. When she died, a tremendous hole was left in all of our hearts. She had a funeral fitting the best dog that a family could have. My husband built her a coffin and in zero degree temperatures, she was buried. One daughter brought a floral arrangement for her grave and we buried her in the midst of my favorite flower garden. As tears froze on our faces, we bid farewell to our beloved Lucy Mae.

I only hope that her furry face will greet me when I step into my Heavenly Home.

No comments: