Monday, January 26, 2009

Update: January 26, 2009

My insurance battles continue. Most of you know that I have been neutropenic with fevers and infections for almost two weeks and the insurance has refused to pay for the Neupogen that I need. We moved up my IVIG treatment, with hopes, it would provide me with extra protection against infection while I am neutropenic. I was to receive it tomorrow.

Now, the insurance wants labs drawn to verify how low my count is -- despite my two doctors' recommendations that I need these treatments. I had begun all of my premedications today for tomorrow's infusion that has now been cancelled. Therefore, the premedications that can cause infections will have to be repeated twice due to this insurance demand.

I just returned from the lab draw and I have a temperature. Can you believe the arrogance of the insurance industry to think that they know far better than my physicians what my body requires?

So, here I sit. The earliest that I can receive IVIG is Thursday (if the insurance "gods" deem that my blood count is worthy of the treatment). I am without natural defenses and now the defenses that modern medicine could afford me have been taken away by an insurance carrier who takes thousands of dollars a year in premiums from my family. Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield is not a friend to the cancer patient.

For those who were going to pray for me tomorrow during the treatment, please delay your prayers. I will update you when I will be receiving it

No comments: