Saturday, January 24, 2009

An Update: January 24, 2009

Thank you for your ongoing prayers. My temperature remains slightly elevated above my normal, however, it is lower than last week. I remain neutropenic (lack of white cells that fight serious infections) and the insurance continues to balk at paying for the $500 per day injections of Neupogen that two of my doctors say that I need. I am trusting that God knows best and He will keep that door closed, if He knows that Neupogen would be too risky for me to take.

Septicemia (infection in bloodstreams) remains the biggest threat to me while neutropenic and otherwise immunocompromised. Please pray a special hedge of protection surround me and protect me from infections. My doctor is going to have me continue with two powerful antibiotics during this period of neutropenia. However, the risk of all of those antibiotics is that I could develop another serious fungal infection. In true form of the saga of leukemia, we treat one problem and another complication emerges. An antifungal was added to my neutropenic cocktail on Friday to help prevent this concern.

It was decided to move up my IVIg infusion to this Tuesday in an effort to provide additional infection protection. In order to take that treatment, I must be premedicated with high-dose steroids which can cause fungal infections. My head spins and my mind wanders when we try to coordinate complicated care with all of its side effects and recipes for disaster. I am grateful for a God who is listening and orchestrating my grand plan called life.

Please pray for this blood-based treatment to be pure and free of all infection risks and that the infusion will proceed without risks and complications. I will receive it on Tuesday from 8:30-5:00.

You are appreciated.

No comments: