Saturday, January 24, 2009

Such is My Life

At times I do not feel as though I accomplish much but research
about leukemia and side effects and treatment options on my laptop. Much of the rest of my time is occupied, hooked up to IVs of immunoglobulins, antibiotics, steroids, antifungals, monoclonal antibodies or chemotherapy. This clip art made me smile as it personifies me in so many ways. At times, I ponder if the knowledge dripping into my mind from my research is doing more good for myself than than the toxic poisons dripping into my veins from the IV infusion? Knowledge has been empowering to me as a cancer patient. Second only to the Lord's intervention on my behalf, throughout this battle, I believe that the research and learning I have absorbed have contributed immensely to my survival. I marvel at patients who do not even know the names of their medications. It is true, we are all wired differently and some patients prefer to remain in the dark about their prognosis and protocols. Yet, it is my humble opinion that by not educating oneself about a disease, risks, side effects, treatments, and other integral components of the disease process, the disease takes control and the patient will falter. Health challenges will emerge the victor, wielding the power, if the sufferer fails to empower herself and lift the blinders of fear, pessimism, and lack of knowledge.

No comments: