Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy 25th Birthday, Twinnies!

Twenty-five years ago today, our first-born, beautiful twin daughters were born. They arrived 8 weeks premature and were very tiny. They fought diligently to survive. As young (20) and naive as I was when they were born, I promptly determined that the Neonatal Intensive Care Nurses were not going to be their main caregivers. We insisted on learning how to unhook their monitors to bathe them, change them, and love them. I was able to pump my milk for them for the 6 weeks we had them in the hospital and for several months afterwards. We taped a photo of my husband and me inside each one of their incubators (as if they would notice)!

The Neonatal ICU nurses told us they had never had more devoted parents who managed most of the daily tasks of babies hooked up to so many tubes and machines. They decided to produce a slide production (long before the age of digital cameras and DVD's) of my husband and I caring for them through the course of a day. A photographer came and took the photos and then they prepared a class based around those slides. Somehow, that helped us to cope and to continue our 24 hour vigils at the hospital with them.

I have flashbacks to different moments of their early days. I recall in particular one night when our younger twin was gravely ill. My husband and I were alone with them in the hospital and the doctors told us that if she did not improve by morning, that they were going to have to air ambulance her to a hospital 5 hours away with my husband. All we had was our little family unit of four and to think of it being fractured into two parts, was terrifying to me.

I didn't know much about God or praying at that time in my life, but I realized at their birth, that I had to depend upon a Powerful God to save my precious baby girls. I prayed through that night and by morning, she had improved and the transfer to another hospital was cancelled. I had seen the Hand of Almighty God hear my prayers and answer them. Daily, He became more and more real to me and I am thankful He has never forsaken me since.

These tiny baby girls were not given exceptional prognosis - we were told that most likely they would be learning disabled. We refused to accept that report of man and trusted and asked God to intervene and to give them life and bright minds. We worked with them all the time, teaching and talking, reading and singing. When they went to kindergarten, they had to take an "entrance exam". This test had 100 questions and each one only missed one question. Guess what the identical question was that they missed? WHAT IS YOUR ADDRESS? We had only moved in our new home the week before and hadn't gotten around to that little detail. They were on their way to great success.

Today, the girls are both married. Our older twin has an earned an Associates and Bachelors degrees and is now pursuing her Nurse Practitioner Masters degree. Currently, she is a Cardiac Care nurse at a heart hospital. Our younger twin also has earned an Associates and Bachelors Degree and is a Registered Dietitian. She is pursuing a Masters Degree in Dietetics, which she should complete in August and begin work on her doctorate. I believe our older twin will also pursue a doctorate in the near future. I say this with pride, but not in boasting. I share this to encourage other parents who have been told negative outlooks for their children. God is able to do the impossible. I have witnessed it first-hand through these two little girls.

I love you, girls. You are two of my most treasured possessions on earth (and you can guess who my other treasured possessions are)! You inspire me. You challenge me to live another year so that I don't miss one thrilling moment of watching you grow and succeed as beautiful young women. Never forget what miracles have been performed in your lives. May He bless you and keep you and may His face shine upon you, all the days of your lives.

No comments: