Friday, January 2, 2009

Give Me Your Eyes, Lord

Brandon Heath's song Give Me Your Eyes has eye-opening lyrics. I desire for the chorus to be one of my continuing goals for 2009:

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the once forgotten

My heart has always had a deep longing for the broken hearted and down-and-out souls wandering across my life's pathways. For years, I have been involved in inner-city ministry through our local church and then at an inner-city ministry for children and their families. If for one moment, we can pause when we see the dirty, puzzled homeless person and realize that he or she is a creation of the Almighty, our hearts should be drawn to them. Because the hurting soul has filth on his face, no shoes, and ragged clothes does not mean that his life is of any less value to God than the banker or the billionaire. Stop and think about it. Just because the inner-city child has head lice and filth under every fingernail, does not mean that she should be any less loved than the daughter dressed in designer duds. The hungry, smelly little boy, who steals food for survival is simply hungry, fighting for survival in a way he has resolved to live.

I remember the years I worked at the inner-city ministry. They were life-changing for me. I will never think of myself one bit better than any other soul walking the face of this earth. I learned the stories and heartaches behind the dirty faces and stealing hands. I learned to see them as God's eyes perceived them. I could see the beauty in the drug dealing mother's face as she tried to provide for her family, albeit via very dangerous, illegal means. I perceived the future that the lost, homeless teenage mother could have through Christ. And I could be this visionary only through the Holy Spirit's guidance and enlightenment.

And once we pray for that enlightenment and can see the hurting, lost people with God's eyes, then we must pursue another step. We must seek and ask Him to give us His love for them. Like it or not, that is exactly what He is calling us to do. Love the lost. Love the dirtiest, foulest, and most hopeless appearing individual walking the face of the earth. Except for the grace of God, that could be you or me. God's love is a prescription for pain. By extending Christ's love to those less fortunate, their eyes regain a sparkle and the purpose for their life can be illuminated.

Many days, I encountered children and families, who from my vantage point, did appear hopeless and far beyond the reach of what I could do for them. Yet, I would pause and remind myself that with God "all things are possible" ...... every life, no matter how broken, beaten or battered has the potential for restoration. Not by my works, but through the power of Almighty God.

Let us vow to never walk by a hopeless man, woman, or child again. May we always offer a smile or a word of encouragement. May we take the warm gloves off of our hands or the hat off of our head and give it to someone homeless on a cold day. May we offer a prayer for each life as our eyes witness heartache. May we strive to be God's hands in 2009 like never before in our lives.

The inner-city ministry, at which I served and I miss deeply since having to resign due to my health, uses donations wisely and conservatively. If you have hope for the brokenhearted and would like to support their work, please send your donation to:

14th and Chestnut Community Center
1403 Chestnut Street
Terre Haute, IN 47807

No comments: