Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fashion for Lil Men

Having been the mother of three daughters, I reveled in children's shops flowing with ruffles and every shade of pink imaginable. Whenever we needed a special occasion outfit, options were so numerous that my head would spin. Easter dresses popped up each spring with pastel colors of the rainbow. Christmas dresses, rich in velvet and satins, stacked on store racks, beckoned my motherly shopping instincts.

Now I am the Grandmother of a little grandson. I have determined that retailers discriminate against these little men. My daughter, husband and I all shopped furiously this past Christmas in search of a special Christmas suit with a bow tie for Lil Man. We searched at more stores than I can list. No Christmas tie to be found. And during these searches, we became acutely aware that retail purchasers and children's designers have been focusing their energies and purchases on the little girls.

Since I have become known as the next Anne Geddes of baby photography with all of my photo shoots of Lil Man, I am always on the prowl for props for these photo shoots. Yesterday, I was shopping in search of Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day props. Three children's shops revealed hats, sunglasses, outfits, and accessories for little girls for these holidays. Little boys were once again left out with only the occasional bib that would have to suffice for their holiday celebrations. Granted, most older boys are not too delighted to be dressed up for Valentine's Day, but for now, our Lil Man delights in his Grammy's photo shoots of him on all special occasions.

We are going to boycott these shops until they come to the aid of Grammies of Lil Men!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You tell 'em, Stacie. As the grandmother of four little men and the mother of three, I agree that children's wear is geared toward girls. You have to admit, those little dresses are adorable. PS: I enjoy your blog.

Hugs
Trisha