Thursday, May 21, 2009

Update and Request for Prayer: May 21, 2009

I am in another cycle of infections. Prior to our trip to the NIH, I had started another antibiotic for chest congestion and a skin infection (May 6). I began running a temperature on this past Monday, in spite of antibiotics, antiviral, and antifungal. Yesterday, I saw my doctor. We are awaiting results from blood and urine cultures. I have yet another sinus infection, so last night I had to resume the Tobramycin that I put into the sinuses three times daily.

I also met with my local oncologist yesterday. I will have my eight hour IVIG treatment next Thursday. I will continue with the weekly Neupogen injections that help my leukemia-impacted bone marrow to generate some much needed neutrophils.

The decision that must now be made is whether I am going to do no treatment or begin half-dose Rituxan as soon as I have a break in infections. Rituxan is similar to chemo but is actually a Monoclonal Antibody. B-lymphocytes (cell line that is cancerous for me) contain a marker referred to as CD20. Rituxan attaches to the CD20 targets. Cancerous cells are killed as with chemo, however, the Monoclonal Antibodies do not destroy other healthy cells (except for the very few healthy B-cells that I have mingled in with the large population of cancerous B-cells). Although neutrophils are not targeted by Rituxan, neutropenia (and resulting infections) occur because neutrophils die off in the cell kill process.

IF I elect to treat, I will receive treatment two days per week for eight weeks. It will be a challenging, difficult time for us. Most likely, the first two weeks' of treatment will be given in the hospital, since I had a near fatal reaction to this drug in the past. I hope that with two successful weeks with inpatient treatment, I will be able to move to the outpatient infusion center at my oncologists' office for the remaining six weeks.

Please pray that these infections resolve and that I will have God's peace about the decision to treat or not to treat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have tears rolling down my face. You have been through sooooo much....and yet you show so much faith. It blows me away. Your attitude, insight, research are all an encouragement to me.

I am so thankful for you being so honest and open....sharing treatment, reactions, realities and feelings and faith. THANK YOU. Lots of time if I have a question about something I can go back and see you have addressed it.

When I am feeling blue I think of all you have suffered and yet your perserverance and enjoyment of life.

This probably doesn't make a lot of sense, but I had to let you know that I really appreciate your sharing. Your confidence in prayer and looking for a direct answer from God are an encouragement to me.

Thanks for listening, I will be praying for you and direction for you.

alison

Chonette said...

Dearest Stacie,
You write and explain things so beautifully and clear.
I wish you all the best with your infusions.
The second time I had to have Rituximab treatment, my body had been used to it and we even tried an experiment of doing a fast infusion and I had no problems, I wish you a smooth unevenful day during the infusions.
Chonette