Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Brief Update: May 3, 2009

My IVIG treatment went well on Thursday. I did discover that morning that I was neutropenic again (very low white cells known as neutrophils that fight infections), so after the eight-hour IVIG treatment, I had to have a Neupogen injection.

I had my eye examination on Saturday. My eyes are watched closely as the pressure had increased in them (glaucoma) due to high doses of steroids. The leukemia can infiltrate the optic nerve and infections can settle in the eyes. My pressure in both eyes had improved and was normal! Praise God! The optomologist told me that my eyes looked like the eyes of a perfectly healthy person. (Except for the fact I have the over 45 year old problem of not being able to read without sliding my glasses down my nose, so I opted for two pairs of glasses - one for distance and one for reading, since my previous bifocal experience was not positive. After all, bifocals would mean I am old - right? Two pairs of glasses just mean I am old and have bi-glasses.)

This week is fairly benign with regard to medical procedures. I will have a bone scan on Tuesday to determine if the steroids are thinning and/or weakening my bones. Pray that they remain strong and healthy. Lil Man is not getting any smaller for this Grammy to carry around everyday! I will have labs drawn, acupuncture and my appointment with my family physician.

We are attempting to gather medical records, make travel arrangements, and prepare for my trip to the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health, outside of Washington, DC. We will be traveling the week following Mother's Day.

Thank you for your continued e-mails, cards, and prayers. I am blessed. I ask for continued prayers for strength, healing, discernment about my upcoming treatment decision, and safe travel for us.

No comments: