Friday, May 8, 2009

To Live is Christ, To Die is Gain

For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
(Philippians 1:21)


This Scripture, penned by the apostle Paul, is a personal favorite. I have requested that this be engraved on my tombstone, should I pass from this earth before I am raptured. Physical death is gain for those who are certain of their eternal destiny. The man who is safe and secure in his eternal destination, views physical death as a welcome caller. The promise of Heaven evokes joy and excitement as the believer knows all of his pain, misery, and suffering will be abolished. Physical death is not final for the believer.

For the man who has never met and invited Jesus Christ into his heart and life, the threat of impending death is repulsive. It is frightening and the deep hole dug in the ground for his coffin has little appeal as a final resting place. This man is certain that all things of value to him – treasure, time, a future - all are lost and consumed when death calls. Death is irrevocable and conclusive for the unbeliever.

If you have not made Jesus your Personal Savior, don’t ignore Him. If you have rebelled and rejected God’s perfect plan for your own life, don’t tarry. If you have grasped at the notion that just living a “good” life is enough to gain entry to Heaven, don’t be surprised if the Heavenly portals are closed to you. If you believe accepting Christ and seeking forgiveness for your sins are not in your plans right now, death is not going to be a welcome caller to you.

God is a gentleman. He will knock and knock and knock at your heart’s door. Keep ignoring his knock. Don’t open the door. And He will never push and shove His way into your life and heart. He is patient. He will wait. The problem with this plan of waiting is that none of us know if life will belong to us tomorrow. It is not about religion. Matter of fact, it sends shudders up my spine if someone refers to me as a “religious” person – I am a person who deeply loves and serves my Lord and Savior. This is all about relationship - the relationship God has desired since the day He created You. For you to embrace Him, His Word, and His free gift of forgiveness and salvation ...... that is all He is asking of you.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23

"So they said, 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household'.”
Acts 16:31

"They have all turned aside; they have together become unprofitable; there is none who does good, no, not one.”
Romans 3:12

"Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death.”
John 8:51

If you are uncertain of your eternal destination, begin by praying this simple prayer. Pray it with all of your heart and intent. Find a Bible and begin reading the books of John and Romans. There are many websites with accurate Bible teaching. Check those out (some suggestions listed below).

Father,

I am a sinner. I know I have messed up and

disappointed You. I believe that Your Son,

Jesus Christ, died on the cross just for me

and the forgiveness of my sins. I come today,

seeking Your forgiveness. I welcome You

into my heart and life.

In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

Links for Bible Learning:

http://www.biblegateway.com/

http://www.joycemeyer.org/default.htm

http://www.kcm.org/index.php?p=home

If you are curious about how current events are playing into the Kingdom calendar, this link will take you to Chapter One of the book Left Behind. Although the Left Behind book and series is fictional, it is based upon Scripture.

Go to for Chapter One:

http://files.tyndale.com/thpdata/FirstChapters/978-0-8423-2911-8.pdf




No comments: