Monday, May 4, 2009

My Hiding Place

"Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance."
(Psalm 32:7)

I am forever grateful that in a world swarming with H1N1 flu pandemic threats, that I have a hiding place where I am safe and secure. I can run to my Father and He covers me with His protection. That Hiding Place, Shelter, and Safe Haven has been a common site for me to return over and over again. When I am sick or afraid, I seek refuge with Him. When I am troubled and burdened, I am preserved and protected by Him. When I need deliverance from fear or doubt, He rescues me and lifts my eyes up to where my help always comes from – Him.

When I think of a hiding place or a shelter in earthly terms, I think of a storm shelter. My grandparents built a home in the early 1960’s, when then President Kennedy had encouraged families to construct bomb shelters in the midst of concerns over nuclear war. My grandfather took that directive to heart and built a regulation bomb shelter. Our family rode out many tornadoes in that cramped little shelter, but fortunately the nuclear threat never materialized.

As a child, I recall tornadoes sneaking through the fields surrounding the home and we sought safety and refuge in that hiding place. We knew we would be safe and delivered from the storms when we were encased in its thick, concrete walls. I remember the shelter not always being comfortable or warm or light, however, there was an inner knowing and a sense of deep peace that we would not be swept away by a ferocious spring tornado.

It is much the same when we seek refuge in God’s hiding place. Life can be crazed and chaotic all around us, but when we seek His shelter, an inner calm engulfs our minds and spirits. Pandemic flu threats, a declining economy, job loss, cancer, or a myriad of other life storms may be threatening our very lives. All we must do is to remember to crawl toward the Father. Seek Him in prayer and by reading His Word. By maintaining pure hearts and hands, He hears our voices and our pleas. And as His children, He is more than willing to come to our aid and to rescue us from the dangers of this world. He will always preserve us from trouble and provide His most perfect Hiding Place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stacie
Thanks for the uplift!!
I really need that this week as things have been getting to me. It is wonderful to have friends who can lift you up, when you are down!!