Monday, July 21, 2008

Treatment Time

IVIg treatment is underway. My "usual" recliner in the chemo room was vacant this morning. What a way to begin my day! Call me a creature of habit, but I usually always sit in the exact same chair. Apparent benefits of this chair: (1) it's the only chair with an exterior window view (I wonder if, like on cruises, I am being charged more for a window view); (2) I have the best electrical outlet for my laptop at this chair; and (3) this chair has the best accommodations for my visitors.

I am now faced with the dilemma that my oncologist is being reimbursed less than what he is paying for my IVIg. If our carrier doesn't increase its payments, the oncologist will be forced to discontinue the treatments. Never mind that if I cannot receive the infusion as outpatient, I will be admitted to ICU for future treatments. Then the insurance will be charged 50% more for the ICU charges. Never mind that by the insurance paying for this treatment, my lower risk of serious infections will result in fewer costly hospitalizations and thus, be cost-saving for the insurance.

Once again, the insurance "powers that be" are dictating what treatments that I need and where I will receive these treatments. This offends me almost as much as the insurance carrier deciding how many days I need to stay when hospitalized. I wrongly assumed that I hired my physicians to make these recommendations for me.

No comments: