Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Great Physician

Throughout the New Testament we read about Jesus, the Great Physician. He healed all who were brought to Him. He had compassion when he saw suffering people. He was not driven to heal for monetary compensation. He was simply doing the work of the Father. Jesus opened blind eyes, raised the dead, and healed a multitude of sicknesses and diseases. His heart was filled with love and concern for those who sought healing from Him. He was and is the one true Great Physician.

Nevertheless, I must reflect on the great physician with whom the Lord has blessed me. For over fifteen years, the same family practitioner has cared for my family and me. She has moved with compassion and confidence and cared for us in ways that surpass what any earthly physician could ever be expected to do. She gives little thought to monetary gain as she intimately feels the suffering of her patients. She laughs with the greatest laugh I have ever heard. (And we know the benefit of hearty laughter on one's immune system!)

We can cry together and laugh heartily together all in the same appointment. She has made herself available to me with such a selfless attitude. I know the Lord has blessed her with a sensational medical mind that has made confident decisions on my behalf that have literally saved my life on several occasions. She is open-minded and willing to engage ancient therapies and treatments. She truly feels my pain and suffering.

Not long ago, I discovered an art journal that was the creation of one of our daughters. In that art journal was a wonderful drawing of our trusted family physician. The tiny hands that drew that drawing of our doctor, is now being cared for at this same medical practice in preparation for the delivery of our first grandson.

This remarkable doctor has passed through deep waters with our family. She has become a part of our family in our hearts. In September, she will begin taking care of the next generation of our family as she will be our grandson's physician.

In the era of impersonal medical services -- where appointments are rushed and hurried and personal relationships with physicians are scarce, we feel most blessed to have such a brilliant, compassionate, and priceless family physician. I feel especially fortunate that whenever I am at my sickest points, I have the Great Physician AND my great physician both working on my medical team!

No comments: