Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Prayer for Today: July 22, 2008

My Precious Jesus,

I praise you from the depths of my heart. When we are weak, you are strong. Thank you for your loving kindness for each of us. Thank you for loving us even when we are unlovable. Thank you for knowing our needs even when we are silent before you. There is no God like You.

We confess to you, Lord, that in the hecticness called life, we sometimes allow circumstances and people and emotions to dictate our joy and our peace. Forgive us when we fall into those traps. Let us not base our happiness and joy on the external, temporary aspects of life. Let our focus be only on the ETERNAL.

The apostle Paul wrote: “But NONE of these things move me, nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.” (Acts 20:24)

Today, Lord, as I battle this disease, help me not to hold too tightly to this life. It is temporary, it is passing, it is fleeting. Let us not allow doctors’ reports or life circumstances determine if we will be joyful or not. Let us not allow pain or suffering to separate us from our calling to love and to serve You fervently.

Holy Spirit, empower us daily. Even when we physically do not feel like serving the Lord, speak to our spirits and allow someone to cross our paths who is in need of hearing the Good News. Give us boldness so that we will be prepared to share something of You and Your Word with the most unlikely person we encounter. And Holy Spirit allow us to do all of this with unspeakable joy!

We move forward, expecting a fresh anointing from you, Lord. We ask for an anointing that will enable our natural selves to not focus on sickness, pain, reports, or other distractions. Instead, we will be equipped to focus on our glorious, God-breathed assignments. We are here, Lord. Waiting. Listening. Praying for your next assignment for each of us.

In Jesus’ most wonderful Name I pray. Amen.

No comments: