Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hospitals: Places of Healing, Places of Harm

Having frequented hospitals for many years of my life, my eyes have been opened wide to the risks associated with a hospitalization. I feel it to be imperative for others to know the mistakes, risks, and errors that can accompany a hospital stay. When admitted to a hospital, every patient must make the decision to either advocate for himself or to appoint a loved one to serve as his advocate. For some people, intimidation and fear are factors difficult to overcome when confronting those providing medical services. After all, for years, patients rarely, if ever, questioned anything that their doctors ordered.

Today's patient is better informed and educated about his disease. The Internet has made available to patients a worldwide medical library of resources. One of the best resources to educate yourself quickly about a disease or condition is The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy. Access this resource at http://www.merck.com/mmpe/index.html . If I had not educated myself completely about leukemia, infection risks, drug risks and reactions, and immunosuppression, I doubt I would be alive today. Always remember that you alone have more vested interested in your recovery than anyone else on earth. You have the most to lose -- your life. There are many wonderful, dedicated health professionals. I happen to be the benefactor of one such physician's care and service. Unfortunately, I have also seen the flip side to this type of physician. And soon after encountering poor medical directives and bedside manner at the hand of various physicians, I became aware that I could fire a physician just as I would fire a broker, lawyer, mechanic, or plumber who failed to provide me with exceptional service. For many patients, they never consider it to be their right to engage the services of another physician if their current doctor is failing to provide competent care.

Hospitals heal and hospitals kill. According to an article in the JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) hospital errors are the third leading cause of death in the US. On average, 225,000 people per year are killed from hospital errors. These deaths are due to unnecessary surgery, medication errors, other errors, hospital acquired infections, and negative effects from medications. I have personally experienced many of these very dangers.

I have had nearly ten medication errors during my hospital stays. I have had medications sent from hospital pharmacies with one drug name typed on the label and the pharmaceutical company's label on the reverse side with another drug name. I have had a nurse mix two drugs (not compatible) in one syringe and when I told her that they were incompatible, she replied that it was "always given that way" and jabbed the needle in my arm. That is considered assault and battery by a nurse. I have had an IV drug that I had experienced a past reaction to, nearly given to me again. Only my cautious review of drugs with the medical personnel noted that the color was off on the drug and it was then that we realized it was the wrong drug. Every patient should question the administration of every drug in a hospital. Who prescribed this? What is the name of the drug? Why am I being given this drug? Personally verify the label on your medications contain your name.

Many of the drugs given to save my life have nearly taken my life. Obviously, anaphylactic drug reactions are not the fault of the hospital, however, these reactions have proven to me over and over that drugs come with substantial risks. My rule of thumb is that I truly must not be able to recover without the drug before I will consent to starting a new medicine. Patients should consult websites such as http://www.drugs.com/ to inform themselves about possible drug interactions, side effects, and other contraindications. Those receiving medications should always consider consulting websites such as http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html to be certain that their drugs are compatible with one another.

Hospital acquired infections have been a tremendous risk and danger to me and to millions of others Americans. Superbugs such as MRSA have demanded attention from hospital personnel. I was admitted to the hospital to receive a treatment to boost my immune system and when I returned home, I had acquired a serious case of c.difficile at the hospital. This can be life-threatening to someone with a compromised immune system.

When hospital staff does not adhere to strict hand washing, hand sanitizing and other infection preventing protocols, their patients suffer. Refuse to allow any medical personnel to touch you until they wash their hands in front of you. I decline housekeeping services when hospitalized. Serious infections have been shown to thrive in the mop water in hospitals. Germs are mopped up in one room and unless the water is changed between every patient (highly doubtful), these germs are being brought into your rooms. I have been admitted to a room with the last patient's IV bags (with his name label still attached) and bloody gloves remaining in the trash can. Do not assume your room is thoroughly cleaned before you are admitted. My husband takes wipes effective against superbugs such as MRSA and wipes down my hospital bed rails, call button, telephone, remote control, bathroom fixtures, door knobs, and any other fixture I am likely to touch.

Hospitals do heal. Hospitals do harm. It is up to the individual and his family to become outspoken, educated, informed users of hospital services. Your life or the life of your loved one might depend upon that knowledge!

No comments: