Friday, July 25, 2008

To My Mom

This tribute to my Mother was published in a local newspaper on Mother's Day.

So many in our hurting world have never known the love or support of a mother. I can't imagine my life's journey without the loving, dedicated Mom who has always been by my side. God blessed me with a Mom who has always loved, supported, encouraged, and helped me. Today she is the recipient of my written bouquet of gratitude.

I have always known -- whether I lived nearby or across the country -- that my Mom was no more than a telephone call away. She is a selfless, dedicated, hard working mother who has always prioritized the needs of her family ahead of her own needs and desires.

When I was diagnosed with leukemia, our family was changed forever. And the love and support of my Mom that had always been a vital part of my life, became an even more vital aspect of my life. Suddenly, there were times as an adult that I was totally dependant upon others to care for me. While my husband and daughters have to work and go to school, my Mom is retired and is the rock and caregiver who sits tirelessly with me when I am at the hospital or receiving treatments. She encourages me on days when I don't feel like fighting this battle anymore. Her humorous antics bring laughter to our home and to the hospital room. She tends to the basic needs of my family, performing such tasks as cooking a meal for us or taking care of the laundry when our stairs look daunting to climb. Most importantly, she prays for me and never gives up on me winning this battle.

Have our lives been easy or void of trials and tribulations? No. Yet, in the midst of these trying times, I am most grateful for the gift of my mother that God has given to me. Words are but a simple measure of my love and appreciation that I express to my Mom through these words. My words will always be inadequate at expressing the depth and sincerity of my love for my Mom, yet I write them filled with emotion and gratitude.

No comments: