Monday, July 21, 2008

IVIg

It is very early on Monday, July 21st. I am awake and preparing to take premedications overnight. These medications are in preparation for the IVIg treatment that I will have in about 8 hours. This treatment is one that I receive every 4 weeks at my oncologist's office.

With leukemia, my own immunoglobulin levels are destroyed by the disease. This makes me increasingly susceptible to infections. Many of you know the seriousness of the infections that I have had over the past few years.

If you have ever considered donating blood and hesitate to do so, reflect on this. This treatment that I will receive in a few hours is possible only through the blood donations of many people http://www.indianablood.org/donating/Pages/default.aspx . The immunoglobulins of thousands of people are pooled to make this ONE treatment for me. As you can imagine, it is very expensive. And it would be impossible for me to receive, without the generosity of those who donate blood to their local blood centers.

This treatment involves about an 8-hour IV infusion. I have had serious reactions to this treatment in the past, so the infusion is given slowly and with premedications. The day passes fairly quickly since the premeds put me into a deep slumber for part of the day. I am self-conscious that I will awaken in the chemo room to either find myself snoring or singing loudly with my MP3 player. Both scenarios would be humiliating, so I pray that I will do neither.

No comments: