Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Urgent Update & Request for Prayer: September 14, 2010

God spared my life today. I went for Day 5 of the IV antifungal and within 5 minutes of the drug infusing, I went into an anaphylactic drug reaction. I always tell anyone who treats me never to assume that I won't have a drug reaction after several safely administered infusions -these anaphylactic reactions have never "played" by the rules that anaphylaxis is associated with first doses. How correct that statement had been!

I had driven myself, so I was alone with this happening. I never felt fear but truly had God's peace. IV drugs reversed the reaction and I did not have to be intubated. Praise the Lord.

I already had an appointment scheduled with my family doctor after today's IV. So that was a well orchestrated plan. After the reaction, they asked me what family they should call and I told them none that I could drive myself to the doctor's appointment. (They had immediately stopped the IV and the doctor decided since I was still wheezing and having trouble breathing even after the IV drugs used to reverse the anaphylaxis, that it would be too risky to retry the IV today).

The nurse called my daughter who works in the same hospital where I was and they told me that they were taking my keys that I was not going to drive. Kevin picked me up and took me to the next appointment. Now I am going to be dependent upon hitching a ride with someone everyday since I cannot drive there alone. I hate losing my independence.

My family doctor confirmed what my heart knew - I have to go and reface this drug tomorrow as I cannot leave a fungal infection in my lungs untreated. Please pray tomorrow as they will desensitize me again using heavy premedications beginning at 1:30 PM ET and infusing until around 5 PM ET. This is always one of the most challenging tasks I face - having to infuse a drug into my veins that has almost killed me.

I am very, very weak tonight after going through anaphylaxis. The insurance rejected the milk request, however, my insurance case manager is resubmitting it with another request for payment. She did a cost analysis showing that we have spent nearly $150,000 since June treating infections, thinking the bottom line might make them reconsider that $400 + for milk each month would be a real bargain if it could render me infection free. So please continue to pray for the coverage to be approved.

No comments: