Friday, September 24, 2010

Do Things Usually Grow Worse Before They Improve?

Overnight and today, I worsened. I was awake coughing and wheezing most of the night and it continued today. My temperature raised and my oxygen saturation levels declined. My team of doctors - family doctor, oncologist, and infectious disease doctor - all worked tirelessly to help me. My oncology nurses are three wonderful women who help me everyday. How can I ever thank people for trying to save my life?

The Infectious Disease doctor said if I continue to deteriorate, I will have to be readmitted to ICU. We are going hour by hour, watching for signs of improvement or worsening. I received both IV's today and then left and had a chest x-ray at the end of the day. It did not show worsening on the x-ray. However, one of the tests that was ordered on Monday (a silver stain) returned and showed: "Acute Inflammation. Abundant Bacteria" present in my lungs. Abundant bacteria is not the term I had hoped to read, given the many antimicrobials I am taking - oral and IV.

The fungus was identified, but yet again, the lab made a critical error and did not perform the sensitivities - so we still do not know what drugs this fungus will respond to, which is vital information for us to know. The negligent performance of this lab is inexcusable. For the sake of myself and other ill patients, I must once again file complaints and draw attention to these errors. People's lives rely upon accurate laboratory findings. I have asked my insurance to consider coverage for my cultures at another lab. This is an example of why and how we must be vigilant patient advocates for ourselves when we are ill. No one is going to look out for us like we look out for ourselves.

I will return to the hospital on Saturday and Sunday for my IV's. My family doctor also wants labs drawn both days to keep an eye on all of my counts and my kidney function.

Please continue praying for these infections to resolve; for the medications to help me and not to harm me; for my blood counts to improve; for my breathing to improve; for my strength to return; for my faith to remain strong; and for all of my family to be given extra strength as they help me.

2 comments:

Cip said...

What lab is this? TH Med lab? I'd like to know.

So sorry to read you are worse. I will keep praying.

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for you.

I helplessly read your entries with anticipation of Gods mighty miracle. I want you to be able to breathe easily, without coughing or tightness in your chest.

I love you Stacie. You have given me the gift of "true" friendship. I have learned so much from you and the "monster" that attacks your body. You have spoken scripture to me. You have tried to live your life just as Jesus did.

Am I selfish? YES!!! I want you on this earth for a very long time. I want you to be able to live a life without pain. I know the Lord is in charge of every fiber of your being. I am sure He looks down on you with joy.

You have lived a Christ filled life for others to see. I pray God allows you to continue to be a valuable witness for Him. You truly are a child of God. You can do all things THROUGH CHRIST who STRENGTHENS you!!

Love, Shell