Thursday, September 9, 2010

Update & Urgent Request for Prayer: September 9, 2010

This afternoon I learned that I have another pulmonary (lung) fungal infection. The culture is growing out and has not yet been identified. It has been sent to the University of Texas to be identified and to learn to which drugs it will respond. Fevers and cough continue.

I contacted my Infectious Disease Doctor in Indianapolis. He said that I cannot be afforded the luxury of waiting for the drug sensitivities before beginning treatment. He said that I have "prime" conditions for the lung fungal infection to become a systemic (throughout my body) fungal infection. Mainly, all of the antibiotics I am taking combined with my poor immune infection equals a prime environment for systemic infections.

Tomorrow, I will begin daily IV antifungals for a minimum of two weeks. I am devastated. I have fought infections all summer and am so very weak. The daily travel to and from the cancer center for these treatments during the week (and back to the hospital on the weekends) really takes its toll on me.

Please pray .......

-That the infection will respond quickly to the IV drugs and that it will not spread.
-That I will not react to the medication and that I will have no serious side effects from it.
-That I will not become neutropenic while taking this drug.
-That I will be strengthened with God's strength for this new challenge.
-That my immune system will somehow, someway be rebuilt and restored.

We are awaiting the insurance review on the milk. If that does not happen quickly, I have inquired about the possibility of purchasing milk directly during these difficult days. Please pray about this need, as well.

1 comment:

Celeste Maia said...

I am praying for you, dear Friend, Celeste