Thursday, September 23, 2010

An Update & Request for Prayer: September 23, 2010

Yesterday was an exhausting tour of medical procedures. The PICC line is inserted into the right basilic vein in my upper arm. On x-ray, I could see it snaking up that vein, across my upper chest and downward toward a major vein near my heart. As the sterility and silence of the radiology cath lab tempted to steal my peace yesterday, through my earbuds played the 33 Miles song, "Jesus Calling". As the Holy Spirit always comforts me, He allowed these musical lyrics to resound into my ears and throughout my spirit as my arm and vein was cut and the wired line threaded through the vein:

You may be scared to death
It's okay you're not alone
I won't let you go
You may think the sky above is falling
Can you hear Jesus calling?

I was not sedated and had some discomfort and bleeding with the PICC but it was a welcome companion today when I consider all of the needle pokes I would have had with 3 different lab draws and two IVs just today! It is bruised and tender but should feel better in a few days. I am going to beware of the change of seasons. I realized yesterday just as spring slipped into summer, I had a PICC procedure and now summer is transforming into autumn and the PICC procedure has returned.

I continue with the two daily IVs: one antifungal and one antibiotic. We are awaiting more culture and lab reports later today and tomorrow. I know weeks and not just days of additional IVs are ahead for me. Please agree in prayer with me that they will help and not harm me. I stand amazed at what a human body and a God filled life can endure. He equips me and gives me daily doses of courage and strength.

My creatinine level has remained steady so my kidneys are keeping up. I continue taking prescription potassium for low potassium. Most striking, my hemoglobin has dipped into the 9 range ~ no wonder I am exhausted. Transfusion discussions begin when hemoglobin reaches 8, so please pray I will not require a blood transfusion. Also, my platelets took a significant dive. It is such a challenge to keep the human body properly functioning on all levels. The Lord certainly created an amazing body to house our spirit man.

1 comment:

Cip said...

So glad to see a picture of you. You're smiling. That's amazing, but not really unbelievable because of all the praise in your life.

Still praying.