Friday, September 24, 2010

A Part of God's Plan

If you have dealt extensively with your medical insurance carrier, you probably know that they do not always have your best interests at heart. After all, they are a business and the bottom line for businesses is that their bottom line is in the black and not in the red! It doesn't seem proper or even humane for an insurance company to make decisions contrary to the recommendations of a patient's physician, yet that occurs frequently.

Quite some time ago, my insurance carrier decided to assign an insurance case manager to "assist" me. Having played this "medical game" for many years, I immediately became pessimistic and paranoid about their willingness to do anything that would benefit me. You might say I developed an attitude and was not overly delighted at the prospect of an insurance appointed individual deciding what treatments, drugs and tests I could or could not receive.

I should have known that God was not going to forsake me even in the midst of an insurance conglomerate. This summer my previous case manager, Melanie, had surgery and my care was transitioned to DeAnn. Melanie had helped me a great deal but unfortunately for DeAnn, she walked into my situation at the beginning of summer when my medical journey took a sharp detour. DeAnn has worked tirelessly on my behalf to insure that I receive the drugs, tests, and hospital authorizations in a timely fashion. She has advocated for me and is currently lobbying for the insurance to begin covering my milk. Can you imagine anyone working two weeks to obtain coverage for 150 syringes? DeAnn precisely did that for me. And in the midst of precertifications, telephone calls, e-mails, and I imagine paperwork galore, DeAnn remains human and compassionate. She tells me she is praying for me.

God intervenes in the smaller details of our lives. I believe that He has assigned this case worker to me so that the burdens of logistically coordinating my care is lessened. Thank you, DeAnn!

No comments: