Monday, September 22, 2008

Treatment Day

Do you ever notice how time will pass quickly when you are not looking forward to an event (treatment day at the oncologists' infusion center)? And, conversely, time drags by ever-so-slowly while waiting for an anticipated event (Lil Man's arrival).

Well, 28 days have flown by quickly and today, I find myself receiving my treatment that is supposed to enhance my immune system. This IVIG treatment costs over $8000 every month. If my insurance carrier would only give me that $8000 per month for world travel versus IVIG, it would be a much more pleasurable use of funds.

When I consider that one immunoglobulin IV requires literally thousands of blood donors to produce it, I have mixed emotions. This one immunoglobulin treatment requires thousands of blood donors to produce it for me. So I am filled with gratitude and and gratefulness for the people who donate life blood for patients like me. Yet, it is a bit disturbing to reflect on that many different people's blood flowing through my veins.

As a side note, we dined at a Chili's Restaurant in Indianapolis last night. We noticed that Chili's is a great supporter of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN) where children with leukemia and other cancers are treated. We once lived in a Memphis suburb and watched first-hand the wonderful work that was performed at St. Jude's. On September 29th, if anyone dines at a Chili's Restaurant, they will donate 100% of all profits that day to St. Jude's. Dine out and help a child with cancer. (Online donations also accepted on their website for this vital cause!)

For more information on Chili's : http://www.chilis.com/ourcommitment/default.asp

For more information on St. Jude: http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f2bfab46cb118010VgnVCM1000000e2015acRCRD

No comments: