Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Gossip

I know for many, gossip and an interest in other people's affairs is invigorating. The sales of gossip tabloids, celebrity magazines, and other media focused on the lives of others bring in billions of dollars in revenues for their publishers. It is obvious that gossip is enjoyed by many.

Personally, I detest gossip. I have no interest in the lives of celebrities or people I don't know. I suppose my own life has always had enough of its own drama that I don't need to waste brain-space on the drama of others.

I believe that women especially have to battle against gossip. Gossip surrounds us in the workplace, on television, at the gym, even in online chat groups. It is imperative that we retain and recall what God's Word instructs us about gossiping. As one reviews these Scriptures, note the traits listed in the same verse as gossip -- strife, jealousy, angry tempers, wickedness, greed, murder, malice. It is obvious, in God's economy, gossip is a serious offense.

From the New American Standard Bible:

Proverbs 20:19
He who goes about as a slanderer reveals secrets, Therefore do not associate with a gossip.

Corinthians 12:20
For I am afraid that perhaps when I come I may find you to be not what I wish and may be found by you to be not what you wish; that perhaps there will be strife, jealousy, angry tempers, disputes, slanders, gossip, arrogance, disturbances...

Romans 1:29
being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips...

1 Timothy 3:11
Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things.

1 Timothy 5:13
At the same time they also learn to be idle, as they go around from house to house; and not merely idle, but also gossips and busybodies, talking about things not proper to mention.

2 Timothy 3:3
unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good...

Titus 2:3
Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that is a very wise post! Gossip is a mindless waste of time. And you just know that if someone is gossiping TO you they are probably gossiping ABOUT you, too.

You chose a good foundation of verses to build your post on!