Thursday, September 11, 2008

Liberty


Photo copyright Stacie

When I reflect on liberty, I am grateful for freedom, independence, liberation, and autonomy. The Encarta Dictionary defines liberty in a few varying ways:

(1)Liberty is a right to choose – the freedom to think or act without being constrained by necessity or force.

(2)Liberty is freedom from captivity or slavery.

(3)Liberty is a basic right – a political, social, and economic right that belongs to the citizens of a state or to all people.

I thank God for the privilege to live in the land of liberty - the United States of America. Our freedoms are so plentiful yet we often forget to reflect on that fact. I read of humans in other countries and nations who are restrained and their freedoms are constrained. If ever they could experience the freedoms that Americans possess, they would be flabbergasted.

I am thankful that I am free to vote and elect officials of my choosing. I am grateful for the absolute privilege to worship as I so desire. I am thankful that I was able to decide how my children could best be educated without interference from the government. I am thankful I can proudly fly my country's flag outside of my home without fear of persecution. I am thankful for my liberties as an American.

Yet, I am even more thankful for the liberty (freedom) that I have found in my relationship with Christ. 2 Corinthians 3:17 encourages us: "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." What an amazing Promise from God's Word. As Christians, we are not to walk in condemnation, fear, and bondage. We are to walk in liberty, absolute freedom, in Christ Jesus.

Another favorite passage of Scripture is Isaiah 61:1: "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to captives and freedom to prisoners." Our world today is filled with captives. Most are not behind the bars of a correctional facility. They are bound and imprisoned by the bondage of sins such as discouragement, addictions, broken relationships, or fear. Isaiah tells us that the Holy Spirit has anointed him "to proclaim liberty to the captives..." Should we be any different?

As His children, we should each be actively sharing the Good News with those who are bound by sin and unbelief. God has so much more to offer the captive. Liberty in Christ is like no other. We are free, free indeed, when we accept Christ to rule and reign in our lives.

I rejoice today in the liberties and freedoms I have, both as an American and as a Christian. I will never take these liberties for granted. Never. And when my spirit and mind are tempted to give up or give in, I will always remind myself of what the Psalmist wrote in Psalm 119:45: "And I will walk at liberty, for I seek Your precepts." Over and over I will return to God's Word (precepts) and be encouraged to pursue the paths to liberty and freedom, both in the natural and the spiritual realms.

No comments: