Saturday, September 20, 2008

Nurses

Until I became ill enough to spend more time than I can comprehend in a hospital, I had no idea how much of a patient’s direct care is overseen by nurses and not the doctors. Literally, a patient’s life rests in the hands of the on duty nurses for most of the day and night. Most physicians will make rounds once or twice a day and are available by telephone, however, the nurses carry much more responsibility than I ever imagined for patient care.

I could write a book (and probably a couple of lawsuits) about the good, the bad, and the ugly side of nursing. I have had nurses who excelled in all areas of nursing. They were compassionate and caring. They nursed because it was their passion, not for a paycheck. They listened to me and my concerns. They respected the fact that I know my body and my disease better than anyone else. They were detail oriented and focused on following my physician’s orders to the smallest detail.

On the flip-side of that description are the nurses who entered the career because of the numerous job openings in the field and for no other reason. They are sour spirited and hateful. They treat my family rudely and disregard my input into my care. They have given me the wrong medications and I have developed hospital acquired infections because of their negligence.

As with all careers, there are exceptional performers and then there are utter failures. Unfortunately, with nursing, people’s lives and health depend upon the performance of the nurse. Mistakes and negligence by nurses can result in a decline in the patient’s status or even death.

This year one of our daughters graduated with a BSN (Bachelors of Nursing) and she is pursuing her Nurse Practitioner Masters Degree. When she entered nursing, I will be the first to confess and repent, that I doubted if this is what she was called to do with her life. That was one of my biggest misjudgments of my life. She studied and strived to learn all that she could in college so that her patients would not suffer at her hands as I have at the hands of ill-trained nurses. She had seen the superstars of nursing who have cared for me over the years. She had personal life experiences to steer her on the path of becoming an exceptional nurse.

Our daughter has not disappointed her professors, preceptors, patients or parents. Families have repeatedly complimented on her bedside manner and compassion for them and their loved one. She is diligent to follow orders and to methodically review all medications and procedures for her patients. It is my dream that as she completes her Masters degree in a nursing field, that she will one day return to the hospital, where I spend so much time, to do her part to improve patient care and outcomes.

I know, as a nurse, our daughter will save lives and touch lives; give hope and gain hope; and will do so with empathy, kindness, and consideration. She has proven her Mother wrong.

When you're a nurse you know that every day you will touch a life
or a life will touch yours. ~Author Unknown

No comments: