Monday, August 31, 2009

An Update & Request for Prayer: August 31, 2009

This weekend was difficult - I ran a temperature, all of the medications wiped out my digestive system and I was in a great deal of pain from the infections.

I was scheduled to see my doctor at 8 AM this morning. I was concerned that I would be admitted to the hospital. However, my fever was improved this morning. My doctor told me that my ear and sinuses looked better but still were infected. The fungal infection has actually worsened and spread a bit on my skin.

My CBC results were encouraging - the WBC (15,900) had declined after increasing last week, which is always a positive sign that infection is responding to the arsenal of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals I am taking. My hemoglobin was the best it has been in a very long time - 12.2! My platelets had improved (111,000)after crashing by over 40,000 last week. Often times with serious infection, my damaged bone marrow will struggle and we will see steep declines in my hemoglobin and platelets.

I am waiting to hear from my oncologist to see if we are going to proceed on Wednesday and Thursday with Week 11 of treatment or if we will postpone by a week due to the infections. I will keep everyone updated.

Please continue to uphold me in your prayers - believing that this long summer of treatment will have long lasting, positive effects. Also, please pray that my immune system will be restored.

Lastly, I ask that you begin praying for my son-in-law's father, Larry. He will have major open heart surgery this Wednesday (September 2). He is in need of 5-7 bypasses. Please pray that all health care professionals will be at their best as the operate on him; that he will emerge from the surgery, whole and improved; that his wife, Sally, and his family will be strengthened and prepared for the recovery process; and that God will be glorified through this difficult time.

No comments: