Sunday, August 9, 2009

Oh Lil Man, You Are Not So Little

Today we celebrate the eleven month birthday of our baby grandson. The sands in the hourglass are free falling. Eleven months have vanished and the miniature man grew into a lil man and now he scurries about our homes, upright on two legs. Legs – still short in stature – yet powerful and steady -- move Lil Man in constant forward motion.

Last night, Lil Man and his parents visited us. It was dark outside when they arrived. His parents had opened the car doors, so the interior light was on in the car and I could see his face. When I stepped out on the porch and Lil Man saw his Grammy, his face beamed with the broadest smile – he recognized me, he was happy to see me, and in one brief moment, my heart exploded with pride and joy.

I reflect on Lil Man’s early days and weeks. He nestled in the crook of my arm, content to be fed and changed and loved. Eventually a toothless smile emerged and a random coo. He disliked being rolled onto his stomach as he was encouraged to “turtle” and lift us his head. Eventually, Lil Man sat up and his family’s proud hearts swelled. Mommy and Daddy beamed with pride. Grampies and Grammies grinned as grandparents do so well. Aunties and Uncles were unanimous in their praises of Lil Man. We all asked unanimously, “Was there ever a baby so cute and intelligent?”

We laugh because Lil Man’s Mama teaches him “tricks” – and does he ever possess a repertoire of “tricks” for an eleven month old circus performer. Not to sound like a boastful Grammy, I would like to share with you a list of Lil Man’s accomplishments: sitting, standing, walking, running, squatting, knows his ears, answers his phone when anyone says, “Hello”, waves bye-bye, feeds the dog-dog Cheerios, does the raspberries on command, plays peek-a-boo, says Mama, Dada, plays Grampy’s mandolin and the piano on his own, oh how my list could go on and on.

In just one month’s time, our family will gather to celebrate a very important day. The first birthday of Lil Man. He has touched and changed and enlightened each one of our lives. For me, his life has impacted my life in ways I never imagined. His tiny life has breathed life into my broken body. Words such as cancer and treatment and pain are erased with a swipe of his tiny fingers touching mine. One day, I pray, Lil Man will return to the pages of his Grammy’s blog and he will know with uncertainty the depth of my love, my prayers, and my affection for him.

Happy Eleven Month Birthday Lil Man! We love you so much.

No comments: