Monday, August 24, 2009

Priceless

Rubies, sapphires, emeralds
Precious jewels to treasure
Husband, children, grandchild
Priceless.

Onyx, jasper, diamonds
Priceless treasures to cherish
Parents, grandparents, relatives
Priceless.

Friends and family
Incalculable, invaluable
Priceless.


On Saturday, around thirty of my dearest family members and friends gathered for my 13th Cancer-Versary and Coming off Chemo (NOT) Celebration. Our youngest daughter had planned this festivity prior to the decision that I was going to continue with additional treatment,
so the celebration was not in honor of my being finished with treatment
but of my long lived life with leukemia.

God blessed me with weather that was divine – no humidity, the temperature was around 70 degrees, and blue skies with sunshine. Between sweltering summer humidity and pesky bugs, I am not able to spend a great deal of time outside. Such was not the case on Saturday. God has orchestrated this perfect day for a perfect time of reflection and merriment. And somehow, the mosquitoes and flies of summer celebrations were on hiatus.

Scrumptious food, fellowship, and fun were enjoyed by all. Reflections on my life, this cancer journey, and God’s faithfulness punctuated our thoughts and dialogues. Lil Man entertained everyone with his antics and gummy grin. Pink and yellow decorations of the colors of summer dotted the green grasses and azure blue sky. Laughter flowed through the buoyant breeze.

My life although ravaged by cancer is rich and full and beautiful. Never a woman fond of worldly treasures and gems, I realized as I gazed across the
panoramic landscape, painted with the faces of those I love,
how extremely fortunate and rich I am.
Leukemia may rob me of health, rest, and a normal life,
yet I am certain it will never remove from my life those who genuinely love me.