Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Another Daughter's Cancer-Versary Reflections

Written by my oldest daughter....

13 Years Ago Today My Family's Life was Changed

August 19, 1996 is a day that remains vivid in memory-even though it was 13 years ago. Today our family will celebrate the life of my Mom-who has battled leukemia for 13 years. On this exact date 13 years ago our family received news that would forever, and to this day, impact and change all of our lives. I am now 25 years old and was only 12 at the time-yet the memories, the words, the emotions, and the sadness from that day is still in my memories. This day in my past is one that will never leave me. It is with strong emotion and a sad heart that I type this to share. I do it, however, to express the importance of love, family, and faith.

On this date 13 years ago, I recall my 2 sisters and I were staying with our grandparents while Mom and Dad went to the oncologist. Even though I was 12 at the time-I understood the seriousness of the “C” word-cancer. It was on this day when my parents pulled into the driveway that changed my life…forever and to this very day! I remember seeing my Dad with an ever-serious look on his face and tears in my Mom’s eyes as she looked at my sisters and me and said nothing. There was a split second where our family was still and silent. Then in a tearful voice my Mom nodded and said, “Yes.” Nothing else was said. My entire family (Dad, Mom, my 2 sisters, and me) stood in the driveway, sobbed, and held each other. I remember the weather, I remember what my Mom was wearing-I remember EVERYTHING about this day as if it occurred yesterday. As I reflect, it is THIS very moment in our life that forever changed the course of all of our lives. It happened just that fast. This should remind us all of just how precious life is.

Over the course of the past 13 years my family and I have been through ups and downs, highs and lows, mountains and valleys, and on a constant roller-coaster ride of emotions that we call OUR life! My family has many blessings. We have a strong family support, strong faith, everything material one could want, and friends. It is a daily challenge and battle our family faces EVERY day with my Mom. There is not a minute that goes by that this isn’t in my mind and saddens my heart. I will never get used to my Mom being so sick, I will never accept it, and I will never stop hoping for her. All I can do is cope with it. There are some situations in life that this is all you can do-and this is one of them.

In close, I want everyone to remember life is full of struggles. That is an unavoidable concept. Some of us face more than others. It is how we deal with these struggles that determines the outcome. My family is the perfect example of this. There have been such emotional and sad times that my family could have easily been torn apart. Not only were we grieving as a family but we also all grieve on a daily basis in our own way. However, we have pulled together for 13 years and have become stronger than any family I know. My family will never give up on my Mom. We believe for her healing, we believe one day we will see her well, and will never lose the faith to stop believing that. Keep her in your prayers as she is currently going through chemo.

Also…today we will CELEBRATE the LIFE God has blessed my Mom with and continues to bless her with. Today is one of the saddest days in the year for me yet I am full of happiness that my Mom is still here. My Mom wasn’t even supposed to see my sisters and me graduate high school. She has seen us all do that, graduate college, all of us finishing up grad school, walked down the aisle at all of our weddings, and seen her first grandchild. I know this isn’t the end for her. I believe and pray everyday my Dad and Mom grow old together and she sees her great-grandchildren!

I copied and pasted the comments people have posted today on Facebook:

Brittney T.:
that is a wonderful trbute to your mom, Steph. She is like a second mom to me, since I was adopted into your family a long time ago! I love you all so much. When I need to look to someone with steadfast faith and courage, I look at Stacie. Praise God for the life she has been given, and Praise God for the life she still has to live!

Tante R.:

Hey Stephanie I will be praying for your family today!!

Lora P.:
Beautiful family picture!!


Gayle G.:

she is very lucky, you all are! I lost my dad to cancer last year. I will keep you all in my prayers :)

Lauren H.:
don't know how you manage to do it all and be it all - you work in Indy, go to school, you are a wife and you still a supportive daughter

Lora P.:
I am praying that you will remember today may not be your favorite day but a day where you can turn the bad into good by rejoicing that your mother is here with you.

Kelly W.:
look at it this way after 13 years you are still blessed with her in your life

Franklin T.:

Hey Steph....I will be praying for you about tomorrow. God has a way of bringing us through things if we let him. IM praying for you...be blessed....

Jannasey D.:
Hey Stephanie...you will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow...let me know if you need anything...don't hesitate to ask....

Billie C.:
Stephanie, I am sitting her at my desk and speechless from reading your note about your Mom and her illness that has plagued your family for so long. You are a wonderful daughter....your devotion has helped your Mom through a horrible time in her life....in all your lives. Don't let this day be sad for you...look at it as the day your family became closer, your faith became stronger and you became the wonderful young woman you are today. It's terrible that your family is dealing with this awful dreaded disease but continue to make the most of your time together and give her the strength she needs. Lean on that sweet husband of yours...that's why he's there! You're a great girl and you should be proud of yourself. I know your Mom is. --Billie


Patricia S.:
We are thinking of you at work today and will see you Thursday. Your mother is in my prayers. "I know the Lord is with YOU. YOU will not be shaken because He is with YOU." Psalm 16:8.

Sara T.:
I understand it being the hardest day. I think that every time April comes along, on the other hand I see it like this HE has accomplished so much. Like your mom. She has survived 13 years of it. I know its tough but she has made it through and to me though its hard it is a hugh victory. She was able to see all 3 of her girls get married. Be able to see her 1st grandchild. Stephanie I don't think God is Finished with her yet. I believe she will accomplish so mush more. She is a strong courageous woman. Just thought you should know regardless you are in my thoughts your family always has been. Love ya girl.

Carrie C.:
Steph, I'm thinking of your Mom today. Let me know if I can help on any way.

Joshua T.:
Praying for your Mom today.

Fred S.:
Thinking of your family 2day.

Elizabeth:
stephanie,i know your family is strong. i will be keeping your mom in my prayers.

Marian:
Steph, I know how much you love your mother. I could see it on your face when you were at school and something was going on with her. I never even had to ask. I know your family has had a long struggle. Keeping you and yours in my prayers. We need to plan a lunch date with Carrie and Andrew soon!

Amanda:
beautiful note.

No comments: