Thursday, September 3, 2009

Update & Urgent Request for Prayer: September 3, 2009

From an earlier post, most of you probably know that I have now been diagnosed with a fungal infection in my lungs. This is reason for concern - consider where mold and other fungi life to thrive - warm, damp, dark conditions - lungs and sinus cavities all possess such conditions.

It has been an emotional, confusing afternoon. At first, I was going to be direct admitted to ICU when I finished my IV hydration post-Rituxan, for desensitization to the IV antifungal Micafungin.

My local oncologist was concerned about adding that since I had just completed the Rituxan. I am concerned about the delay but this plan will keep me out of ICU for the desensitization - I will do that 8 AM at the cancer center. Once desensitized, I will begin daily IV's (around 3-4 hours each) for 28 days, possibly longer.

When I finished the IV hydration at 4:30, my family doctor called and wanted me to stop by the hospital and have a chest x-ray and blood cultures drawn. The hospital had messed up the orders and I was there for almost 2 hours.

The lung x-ray showed that the lower left lobe was partially deflated - that report makes me wonder if my huge spleen has permanently deflated that bottom part of my left lung (since it was like this on the last x-ray in June). I am not certain how often a lung fungal infection will show up on x-ray, but I believe I recall that it is difficult to diagnose it via chest x-ray.

I was already wiped out from 11 weeks of Rituxan, then the sinus/ear/fungal infections of last week. I am just weak and tired and very discouraged and heart broken tonight. I am not surprised about this new infection because I have run a temperature most of the week. I kept relating it to the Rituxan and not infection. My O2 sats were good 97-98, so I believe that is a positive sign. My pulse was increased all day (95-100) and I expected my hemoglobin to have dropped when I saw that, but it was still holding. I have a periodic cough but nothing like the cough I had in June when you were in Iowa.

The WBC had taken a big jump to 28,000. Uric acid and CMP were normal.

I am wondering if the skin fungal infection of last week is somehow related to this new fungal infection? That seems like a possibility. I will now be on three antifungals - cream, oral, and IV.

I am curious if anyone knows if when a fungal culture on lung sputum grows out fairly quickly for a fungal culture (7 days versus the usual 2-3 weeks) if that is an indication that the infection is wide spread or if it indicates a particular fungi? If anyone knows this answer, please e-mail me.

I know the seriousness of this - I must cry out to my Father to rescue me once again.

Specific Prayer Requests:
-That the fungal infection will not spread and will respond promptly to the IV medication
-That I will not have a drug reaction or side effects from this powerful medicine
-That my counts will stabilize and not be decreased by the medication (common side effect)
-That God will protect my liver and kidneys from so many powerful medications needing filtered
-That my family will be strengthened for yet another 4 weeks of caring for me
-That I will find strength to be able to watch Lil Man

Thank you, everyone.

I shall not die but live and proclaim the works of the Lord....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacie,

I just wanted you to know that you are in my prayers today as well as every day. I continue to ask God to heal you and bless you so that you can continue to show His love to others.

Praying for peace, comfort, strength and rest for you.

Love to you,

LeAnn

Anonymous said...

I prayed for you for quite some time while driving this evening. I just can't believe that God would let you die after all of His promises. I have prayed against the spirit of fear and have asked for you to have a clear mind. I have asked for div ine knowledge by the physicians that are caring for you. I have asked that each virus, bacteria that is in your body die at the root. I have asked for your lungs to be clear and that you not have a hard time breathing. I asked the Lord to allow you to not begin coughing hard and to be able to get rest tonight.

I love you Stacie. Know that I am praying.

Shelly

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you!

Love, Tina

Anonymous said...

Jesus. Papa. Holy Spirit -

You are a mighty God. There is no one like You. You are holy and You are love. Flow through us in a physical way. Bring Your peace to cover, envelop, surround, protect. You are our shepherd, we are lost without You. We boldly request that You would continue to guard Stacie's earthly life. We believe that You have much more work for her to accomplish and desire for her to see the spiritual healing of many more because of her life's testimony of faith. You are creative and we know that You work all things together for Your good and purpose, and so we are asking that You would once again creatively heal Stacie's fungal infection so that the doctors can do nothing but praise Your name. Continue to shine Your glory through Stacie, Jesus! Bring more glory to Your Name! We love you and thank you. amen.

Prayer from Costa Rican missionary and friend Jessie

Bethany said...

Stacie,
We stand with you today.

The Lord bless you & keep you,
The Lord make His face to SHINE upon you, to SHINE upon you, & give you peace.

He Himself is our peace. We are the sheep of His pasture.

With Love,
Bethany