Friday, September 18, 2009

Update & Request for Prayer: September 18, 2009

So that my faithful readers of my blog will not think that I have "checked out", I thought I should update my blog. I have continued to receive the IV antifungals everyday and have completed 15 IV's. I have completed Day 7 out of 10 of the Neupogen injections for my immune system. And I continue with the twice daily antifungal Amphotericin being inserted intranasally (wow, does this hurt!).

My platelets and hemoglobin are holding stable which was a concern since the IV antifungal can decrease both of these. I am thankful about this. My liver enzymes had elevated earlier in the week (toxic overload on my poor liver from all of these drugs). However, I doubled my alpha lipoic acid and the enzymes were back in normal range today. My family physician, who oversees my naturopathic approaches, encourages me to use the alpha lipoic acid to protect my liver from the dangers of these drugs.

The bacteria in the urine is drug resistant, so I am to submit another sample for testing to see if we should proceed with yet another drug.

We still have not received the identifications or sensitivities from the two lung cultures. It appears to me that modern medicine could uncover a better way to expedite this type of vital testing.

The skin biopsy reports returned today and I had a late afternoon call from the dermatologist. I did not have a pen to write down what the biopsy stated, so I will have to obtain the specifics from my family doctor who will receive a report. I know the dermatologist said the lesions were not bacterial or fungal in nature. And they were not cancerous. So, I will have to read the report before I can better report on the specifics of the lesions.

I just do not feel well overall and it is difficult to discern if the sense of malaise and not feeling well is from the infections, the leukemia, all of these medications, or a combination of these factors. We have not even been able to evaluate the status of the leukemia (post treatment from this summer) due to all of the side effects of the current medications. Once the infections are resolved, then we can pause to evaluate if a partial remission was achieved and is being maintained or if the leukemia is on the march again.

Thank you for your prayers. I need strength and a newly breathed will to fight this dreaded battle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stacie, I pray the Holy Spirit will fill you again with the strength and the will to continue fighting this very uphill battle. You are an inspiration to us all.
Lillian (GrannyT)

Deb Light said...

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Love Ya,
Deb