Monday, September 7, 2009

Update & Request for Prayer: September 7, 2009

I received my fourth IV of the antifungal Micafungin today. I continue to chill and I become very cold during each infusion and for twenty minutes or so after it finishes.

The doctor will check my labs tomorrow. These are being closely monitored since Micafungin can decrease white counts, red counts, and platelets. Yesterday, after only three IV's, my white count had declined by almost 50%. My hemoglobin fell by almost an entire point. And my platelets decreased by 20,000. Since most of my counts are in the process of recovering from this summer's treatment, it is important that we quickly detect and address any serious blood count declines. We are most concerned about neutropenia. In the presence of a fungal lung infection, neutropenia can be critical.

My cough was worse overnight and my temperature has been higher today. I continue to have problems with the Micafungin making me sick to my stomach. Please pray that the sensitivities (tests to show what drugs this fungi best responds to) will become available quickly for us. The next drug that will be added is most likely AmBisome (www.drugs.com/ambisome.html). I pray I do not have to make this switch because AmBisome is a very difficult drug to take and will most likely require hospitalization.

The timing was uncanny - the wife of a fellow leukemia warrior notified our support group that he died of lung complications. That touched too close to home and saddened me greatly. Statistics show that over 50% of deaths of patients with this type of leukemia are killed by infections - mainly pulmonary (lung) infections.

I am walking in very deep water and pray that as I "pass through the waters, God will be with me; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow me. When I walk through the fire, I shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch me" Isaiah 43:2.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I am continuing to pray for you Stacie!

And you continue to be strong OK?

Bethany said...

Stacie,
Thanks for keeping us informed. Been wanting to tell you that Amanda at 14CCC is developing a 6 & Up night WEEKLY that will rotate from Youth Group Night to field trip to Game night (my church will help with that one:) to service projects. She has the vision for the older kids that you had. Exciting, huh? And I saw Angela Brown lately at my church. She has gone through tough times & is in group home, but I was so glad to see her at church.
Love to you!
Bethany

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Keeping you lifted in prayer. Also saddened by our loss of our warrior RB. Get well! You can win this battle!!!

Anonymous said...

Stacie,

Your scripture prayer is so beautiful. I want you to know that I am praying, with so many, for you. I do believe that God will pull you through this and it will be so clear that it is of Him. Your faith is so precious. Thanks for sharing it Sweatheart!

God Bless you and restore your health in an amazing way!

Kathy