Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Blogging through a Cookbook: Sound Familiar?

Sometime ago, our family meandered from Toronto to Niagara Falls through upstate New York and into Pennsylvania Dutch County – Lancaster County to be specific. We were on a mission to locate Betty Groff’s farmhouse restaurant. Groff was discovered by iconic food personality Craig Claiborne. We had heard of her personal attention to guests and her culinary creations, representative of the Pennsylvania Dutch heritage.

After a lengthy drive through the beguiling and charming roadways through Pennsylvania Dutch Country, we happened upon this high-end farmhouse. Indeed, Betty Groff was attending to her guests. We feasted on one of the most memorable meals of my life. The ambiance was warm and welcoming and the cuisine, without spoken words, detailed the legacy of Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking.

Recently, we have been bombarded with advertisements for the new movie, Julie and Julia. Being a blogger on a mission to update, inform, inspire, and entertain my readers, I have undertaken a new-finagled mission – in remembrance of this dining experience, I have my autographed copy of Betty Groff’s cookbook entitled Betty Groff’s Country Goodness Cookbook in hand and in the spirit of Julie and Julia, I am going to begin cooking through Groff’s encyclopedia of Pennsylvania Dutch culinary treasures. I will report on the cooking experiences and share photos of the finished products. I will list the page number for each recipe if you would like to reference the recipe.

Be patient for the first culinary creation – this plan was formatted before the news that 28 additional days of IV therapy awaited me.

1 comment:

justme said...

Yeah! I'm so excited! So glad you decided to do this!