Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Peculiar Notions About Me

I read an interesting post on my friend Lynda’s BLOG. It was entitled 200 Things. The author requested that the readers copy and paste the statements and to highlight the ones that they had done in their lives. I completed this exercise and thought some of these life events might be interesting to discuss on my BLOG. I will discuss ten events per post.

SLEPT UNDER THE STARS
For someone who is not an outdoors, wilderness type woman, I was the leader of our daughters’ scout troops for several years. We traversed the stages from Daisies to Brownies to Juniors to Cadettes. We did sleep under the stars at several camp outs. However, I must confess, we did so in the comfort of the back yards of several of the scouts’ homes. After all, this concept enabled us ready access to indoor plumbing, heat when the outside temperature fell below 32 degrees and hypothermia threatened us, and extra food and beverages when our rations ran out! Nevertheless, the stars were still beautiful even when viewed from the comforts of home.

CHANGED A BABY’S DIAPER
We are being re-certified in diaper changing since the arrival of our first grandchild last month. However, my husband and I had all 3 of our daughters in diapers at the same time and we literally changed hundreds of diapers per week when they were all young. I had every intention, as a first time mother, of using cloth diapers. I had read how they were better for baby, the environment, and other observations. However, the author of that research did not take into account that 3 babies in one household could generate hundreds of dirty diapers per week.

HAD AN UNCONTROLLABLE GIGGLING FIT AT THE WORST POSSIBLE MOMENT
For some peculiar reason, I have always thought it hilarious to watch someone fall down. I know that sounds sick, twisted, and demented. How could watching someone fall and possibly harm themselves warrant a laughter attack? I cannot answer this question, yet I know that if I see someone trip and fall, my laughter fit will ensue and will become difficult to contain. Word to the wise: don’t trip and fall in front of me! My laughter might hurt your feelings as well as your pride.

HELD A LAMB
When our daughters were around the ages of 7 and 8, my best friend called me one Saturday evening (before Easter Sunday). She was wrought with anguish and concern. Her two sons and husband were to participate in the following morning’s Easter Sunday Program. It was their responsibility to bring the “Lamb of God” for the program. She had located a farmer who assured her he would have a baby lamb ready for pick up that evening. They had gone to pick-up the “Lamb of God” and it was black. She called in tears, assuming that the “Lamb of God” would be a fleecy, white lamb, pure white and without spot or blemish. She had never seen a black lamb in the Easter pageant. I assured her, that this little lamb would fill the part quite nicely, so she picked up the lamb and they came to our house. We spent that evening before Easter Sunday, playing and holding the star of the Easter program.

HAD A MEANINGFUL CONVERSATION WITH A BEGGAR
A daily part of my work at an inner-city ministry was working with, serving, and talking to impoverished inner-city residents. I found myself in situations that I never believed I had the courage to face. Drug dealers, prostitutes, beggars, and criminals called this neighborhood “home”. It was a privilege and honor to be able to share with so many hurting people, the Gospel of Christ. Some came physically hungry, seeking food from the food pantry, yet were offered spiritual food from the Word of God. The hopeless discovered hope. The hungry discovered more than tangible food that could meet their desperate needs. Every conversation with a child of God, beggar or not, has the potential to result in glory to our Heavenly Father.

RIDDEN A ROLLER COASTER
At one time in my life, I could tolerate riding roller coasters. One of my first trips with my husband was to an amusement park. And I managed to be lured onto several coasters across the USA with our daughters. Yet, as age and wisdom enlightened me about roller coasters, I began to view them in a different light. Even if my enlarged spleen could tolerate a coaster ride today, I do not have the courage for them. Everyone else in our family is a fearless fan of coasters, sky diving, bungee jumping, and riding rides off the top of skyscraping hotels. However, I am quite happy with my feet planted on terra firma.

HIT A HOME RUN
I know it is difficult to envision someone of my age hitting a home run, but I did accomplish this feat several times as a young softball player. My Dad always coached our fast-pitch softball teams and I played for several years. Since Dad had been recruited by the Cincinnati Reds, he was quite an accomplished baseball player and coach, so it is no wonder that I could hit a home run!

DANCED LIKE A FOOL AND NOT CARED WHO WAS WATCHING
Having been a fan of the John Travolta Saturday Night Fever movie and dancing, our three daughters and I would all dance together in our living room. It was always a good laugh as I tried to recall the disco moves from this movie and teach our girls. At the wedding of our oldest daughter, the four of us took to the dance floor and displayed our finest John Travolta moves. There are pictures to validate this moment of insanity. However, I had been quite ill before this wedding and several people said it was their favorite part of the wedding to see me be able to go out and dance with the girls. Stayin’ alive, stayin’ alive………..those lyrics suddenly had new meaning!

LOVED YOUR JOB 90% OF THE TIME
The same job that I described above when discussing the beggar, was one that I loved more than 90 percent of the time. To be paid to work at something that is one’s heart desire, is the ultimate job. I had a passion for helping the lost and hurting as well as serving God’s Kingdom and to be paid to do those things on a daily basis, was a dream come true. When my health mandated that I resign, it was one of my great disappointments of my life.

GONE WITHOUT FOOD FOR THREE DAYS
There have been several times that I have fasted for Biblical reasons. Sometimes I have fasted an activity (television or computer use) while other times I have fasted a meal per day or all of my food for several days. For me, fasting allows me to turn my thoughts to God, over and over, instead of turning to television, computers, food or beverages during the course of a day. I am reminded of a passage from Isaiah 58 that tells us fasting that pleases God…….

Would you call this a fast,
And an acceptable day to the LORD?
6 “ Is this not the fast that I have chosen:
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out;
When you see the naked, that you cover him,
And not hide yourself from your own flesh?
8 Then your light shall break forth like the morning,
Your healing shall spring forth speedily,
And your righteousness shall go before you;
The glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.
9 Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer;
You shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’
If you take away the yoke from your midst,
The pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
10 If you extend your soul to the hungry
And satisfy the afflicted soul,
Then your light shall dawn in the darkness,
And your darkness shall be as the noonday.
11 The LORD will guide you continually,
And satisfy your soul in drought,
And strengthen your bones;
You shall be like a watered garden,
And like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
12 Those from among you
Shall build the old waste places;
You shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
And you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach,
The Restorer of Streets to Dwell In.
13 “ If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the LORD honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,
14 Then you shall delight yourself in the LORD;
And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth,
And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father.
The mouth of the LORD has spoken.”

No comments: