Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Healthy Reflections

If, today, you awoke to a beautiful autumn morning and were in good health, rejoice. Today, I am writing to remind readers who are blessed with a body full of health and well-being, of what a gift from God you possess. Perhaps, you take this gift for granted. Just getting out of bed and not being in pain or having to face a week of needles, treatments, and doctors is reason to celebrate the goodness of God. It might be that you have never even considered how fortunate you are to be walking in good health today.

I encourage you to sit down sometime today and make a list of all of the blessings God has given to you, with good health heading the list. Perhaps you don't even know anything about God or you might not even believe there is a God. Look deeply within your heart and soul. Look around at the wonders of creation. Think of the times you have been divinely protected. God is alive and active today. He is a kind, gentle, patient God who waits on his children to return to Him and to crawl up into His lap and say, "Father, I'm back. I love You. Please help me."

Before leukemia, I was like most people. Everyday, I crawled out of bed and did everything I wanted to do. I never stopped to reflect on my good health. I never thought of what a blessing a day is without pain or suffering. I just took my good health for granted. For that I am deeply sorrowful and regretful. I had a treasure -- worth more than silver or gold -- when I had my health. And I didn't daily reflect and thank God for that priceless treasure. Begin tomorrow, with a prayer of thanksgiving to God for your good health.

No comments: